Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

crazy project

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:57 PM
asmithnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy project

I am in the middle of buying a lake home and thought of a new boat project. First, the boat is a foam construction and it measures
31" x 18" on top and 14.5" on bottom 3" thick. We are going to troll for what ever bits off of the pier. I know this sounds a little crazy but you got to understand that is the way I am. The trick is: to tie a milk jug about 10 feet from the rear and then tie a rig to the jug. The distance is up to you.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this and if so what was the outcome. I really need to take pictures of my first boat but the only thing I don't have is a digital camera. The first boat will soon be distroyed due to a building flaw.

Question: Can you put the radio in with the battery pack and the servos. Or does it need to be seperated from the electroincs.
Water proof container to make myself clear.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:03 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: crazy project

If I am reading yur question right , then the answer is yes , you can put the battery pack in the same water-proof ( LOL ) container as the Rx and servos .
( why did I laugh when I said that , you might be asking ? Well , I have NEVER found ANY water-proof container yet ... LOL ... they ALL seem to leak somewhere , somehow , and my close friend , who is also a firm believer in radio box's , just found out the hard way , what I have been telling him about radio boxes is true ... he flipped his boat and his radio box ad more water in it than the rest of the boat ... LOL )
Old 05-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Yes I have done the same thing. Looks like I'm not the only nut here!!!!!!! [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]

We tried it one day. Trolled some dough balls for brim or shellcracker one day with the hopes of giving one the ride of its life!!
We never caught any though![&o][&o][&o][&o]

We used a bobber instead of a milk jug.

Good luck fishing!!!! Even if you don't catch anything....You'll laugh so hard trying!!!!!!

Let me know how it goes!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:54 PM
asmithnc

Dadaddyro, I am building the foam hull like yours, Not tring to copy but you have a nice design. I took all of 5 minutes to cut the shape with a table saw and another 5 to cut the motor mounts with a router. If I knew hope much easier foam was I would not have waisted my time with wood. I not knocking wood, it just take more time to build then I have to work on it. I hope to have the boat finished in
2 weeks but we will be moving to the lake during that time period.

Guys help me with a name for the trolling boat and the color is up in the air, so help me out. If the name of the lake helps it's (High Rock Lake). Please don't request a sissy color, I am going to look stupid enough with an airboat that has a milk jug tied to it.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Selph-Inflicted

For a name.....how about........"Happy Hooker"

Color should be your choice.

Yes foam is so much faster than wood. Feel free to use my design. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!!

Happy building!!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 08:04 PM
1BADHD

I have been thinking of doing the same thing! Just make sure its big enough so a fish wont pull it under! Get any water in the carb and the motor dies, the fish is gonna be taking the boat for a ride.

Paint it red and white like a bobber. For a name....gotta think a bit on that one.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:10 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Never tried that but when i ride my boats by my pond i go to some fish pop the backs of them as im cruzing around!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Got a chance to run a little this weekend. Ran in a new retention pond that was dug a couple months ago. Shortly after hitting the water, we got the attention of about a 5' gator. She was very curious and motivated towards the boat. I enticed it a bit...but was sure to keep a safe distance.
I also noticed about a 2 footer in the pond. It's getting close to mating season, she was probable protecting this years nest.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:17 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

[X(] Gators!!! Glad there is no gators in my waters!!
Kind of puts the meaning of swamp boat in the boating experience though!

[8D] Now that would make for a nice vid!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 AM
LtDoc

asmithnc,
It works. Fishing with your model boat, I mean. I've used a model tug, dragging a line off the stern with a 'cork' the 'right' distance from the end ('right' distance = secret!). I read about someone else catching fish that way and had to try it. No pictures, and no one saw the fish, so you'll just have to take my word that this isn't just another fish story...
- 'Doc
Old 05-18-2004, 12:42 AM
canadianjosh

It sounds like a fun idea, I guess it depends on what type of fish you are fishing for. I am only familiar with lake trout, fly, and salmon fishing. If it's the latter you're gunna need a lot of power, if anyone here has ever reeled in a 40+ lb spring(chinook) salmon then you'll know what i'm talking about, these things will take 30 mins or longer to tire 'em out before you can get them close to the boat. Daddyro, no wonder the croc is checking out your boat, it's crocodile green, it's a great color, but who knows one day you may lose your boat to that croc. The only potential problem with airboat trolling is that you might run out of fuel before you got a bite, however electric would work but you'd need humongo power if you got something.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:55 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

How about

THE TROLL'er
( as in Norwegian type trolls )
Paint her JD green and throw some "warts" on it and a pair of evil looking eyes up front ( like those of some of the mythical nasty fairy trolls )
Old 05-19-2004, 01:59 AM
pro27

It's not that crazy of an idea........

quite some time ago, in one of the boating mags, a guy built a large electric RC Fishing type (yacht) boat and simply mounted a rod and reel to the back end. He didn't say if it worked or not though.

Now, an airboat, that's stylin'.....
Old 06-12-2004, 07:47 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

i also want to try this. i have a 40x16 gasser with an 18cc. where do i tie the line to the boat and how(for a fiberglassed foam hull)? is it hard getting the fish in?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:45 AM
SoMoney

[link=http://videos.radiocontrolzone.com/rc_angling.mpg]RC ANGLING Video[/link]

His name was Carl Nordling you can read the [link=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3918/is_200004/ai_n8893653]Article HERE.[/link]

The guy alleges to have copyrighted the idea back in 2000 however hasnt found a market for the idea.

If you dont put a big motor and a method to cut the line if you hook Nesse then the'll be calling your RC Fishing boat.....

DAS BOOT

Seriously thouh Im thinking of grabing a dual V type hull off eBay ($40-50), upgrade the powerplat to provide at least 4lbs of thrust when, attached a spring loaded Fly Reel like in the video, and try my luck!

Its cheaper than renting a fishing boat every week and I think your odds are about the same.