Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

gas to electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:39 AM
savagecurly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas to electric

i have a airboat with a os 46 that i rigged up for catfishing but the loud gas motor and the tailrudder scare fish off

i want to convert it to elctric so it will be quiet

what would i need to get at least the equivilent to what i have know or maybe more torque and less speed, the boat pulls hs to pull out about 200 yards of heavy fishing line dragging a big weight and bait

thanks a bunch fellas
Old 06-24-2004, 12:29 PM
asmithnc

Default RE: gas to electric

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed700.htm Check these big boys out. It may be what you need.

Happy fishing
Old 06-24-2004, 01:23 PM
smokingcrater

how about a brushless outrunner? spins a big prop without a gearbox... a direct drive motor is going to probably be at too high of rpm, and running a gearbox is almost as noisy as a glow engine.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:08 AM
pro27

The Speed 700 has a lot of power, and by adding a torque ring to the can, you can improve the low end torque to allow the use of a little bigger prop. Also, you could easily use a sealed LA battery to power it for long durations.

I have two scale boats that I run. Both use a 6 volt battery powering a speed 600 type motor.
One has a 4.5AH and the other uses a 5AH (capacity) sealed rechargable. Both give me over an hour of cruising and you can use an inexpensive RC car/truch speed control for more precise speed control.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:29 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Food for thought ....
Those electric weed eaters that almost everyone "toss's" away have SUPER good strong motors in them along with a nice rechargeable dry cell [8D] ( sorry , the speed control , since there is none , is something of a different color )