Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Rudder Size

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Rowboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder Size

I have noticed from pitchers from this site that the more experienced RC airboat builders
use a single air rudder,where I have always used a two air rudder set up,only because I had not thought of using one rudder,because two rudders should be more responsive than one. Like a car the two front wheels turn together giving excellent control. The question I am asking are two or three rudders better than one? Or Is there a formula like the larger the prop blade the larger the air rudder?[:@] Also I thought that having two air rudders I can reduce their height thus reducing the CG ?Is this true. Lindsay
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90834.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	271151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79066.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	271152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11048.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	271153  
Old 05-14-2005, 11:57 AM
biteme
Banned

Default RE: Rudder Size

I use dual rudder for two reasons: my boat does turn better with two rudders, also it is easier to get to the engine for starting (pusher prop), which may not be so important with a puller setup. One rudder is easier to set up having fewer linkages. As with all aspects of this, you must find what works best for you. I've seen a rudderless airboat, recently posted at rcairboats.net under electrics. See what works. Sean
Old 05-14-2005, 03:56 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

EXACTLY as "DOGMOAT said ....
( and FTR - ALL my airboats have twin rudder setups ... for more reasons than listed )
Old 05-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Selph-Inflicted

I use single rudders on most of my set ups, and have excellent response.

I think dual rudders aren't necessary for the smaller props (unless you are using a pusher set up), but when you get into bigger boats that weigh more and move a larger volume of air...dual rudders are suggested.

Dual rudders are more efficient but are not needed in every situation. My boats turn and respond nicely with the single rudder...I am able to do tight spins with no problem.

Once again...it is more of personal preference.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:44 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

I like dual rudders. I think dual rudders are just as easy to set up, maybe an extra 30 min.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26661.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	271491  
Old 05-16-2005, 11:30 AM
dadkins

I once had 4 rudder set up on a Big Swamp Buggy - As it turned out the 2 Large rudders were outside the propwash and only worked at high speed so I added 2 small(2"x 3") rudders inboard Looked and performed excelent - BUT - I have just as much response and control with just one, sized appropriatly and hinged at the right spot. I use a flying rudder (just one hinge) attached to the back of the motor mount. Puller set up