Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

First "Selph-Inflicted" 3 Pointer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First "Selph-Inflicted" 3 Pointer

Here is a boat that I completed a few weeks ago....my first 3 pointer hydro.
The build went smooth and was alot of fun to build. Here is a video of the maiden voyage. Due to a loss in the family I have had to take some time away, so I haven't had a chance to tweak it yet. I do get a little sponson spray in the prop at times, but I believe that can be cured. I'm running an OS46AX. The boat weighs 4 lbs 12 oz. Click [link=http://rcairboats.net/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1497]here[/link] to see the build take place.

[link=http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/albums/ABW-Videos/First_SI_3_Pointer.wmv]"SI" 3 Pointer Maiden Voyage[/link]
[link=http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/albums/ABW-Videos/First_3_Pointer_Video_du.wmv]"SI" 3 Pointer Maiden Voyage (dial up)[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24310.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	445128   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43229.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	445129  
Old 04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: First "Selph-Inflicted" 3 Pointer

Wow! That thing moves! Another awesome boat!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Very nice ...
I am wondering about the depth of your water rudder there ? Reason - I think thats why your getting a lot of splash up a the rear . ( besides , the longer they are , the more drag they create )
Try one about an inch and a half below the lowest point of the hull . Did this on one of my ABS hulls and made a WORLD of difference .
Old 04-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Nice info Bob..... It might just be the ticket Chris needs. A++

Chris, Why did you change the stock muffler.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:17 AM

It does look good , very good .
I want one
Good Job Chris
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 PM

It's cool how this one come up out of the water, almost looks like it's getting launched or something.

Great build!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 AM

Sorry for the delayed response....I've had a lot going on in the past week or so and haven't had much spare time.

Thanks to all for the compliments! [8D][8D]

Terbo.....Since this is my first hydro and using strictly a water rudder, I made it a bit on the big side. Always easier to cut down than have to remake one. It's out of 1/8" aluminum and the rudder sticks down past the hull about 2 1/2". I've only had the boat out for one occassion, and from watching the video, I too feel that the boat has some drag on it. I plan on trimming the rudder down a bit until I find that sweet spot. Thanks for your comments.

Andy....I have a couple of the Hobbico pipes lying around from a few Tower motors that I wanted to try. I do see a bit of performance gain from them. Not only that...I think they sound better than the stockers.

Jasper....When I first sat the boat in the water, I was worried. [X(] Due to how low it sat, I was afraid that it would plow and not jump up on plane. But when I gave 'er the gas....she popped right up. [8D]

I've had some family issues lately which hasn't allowed me any time for the boats. I look forward to getting to tweak it, even thought about more HP. I feel the boat can be faster and with time....I'll get it dialed-in. I'll keep you guys posted on what transforms from my latest creation.