Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

not fast enough

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not fast enough

reading some post in here people talk about almost flipping or blowovers. my boat has never came close to doing this so i figure it must be under powered.it's 39 inches long 19 inches wide and weighs 16 pound running a mds78 and a 12x6 prop, gps-ed at 24 mph,after some advice recieved in here i removed the tank stand and put it at the back and it now skims across the water sweet slightly bow up.the ? is do you think a ST 2300 would be a good motor or would it be to powerful.the 78 sucks the fuel up without any problems would a st2300 do the same and i have a 12 1/2 x 11 bolly prop is this a big enough prop for the ST because if it is i wouldn't have to change the motors height not that that would matter. i think the ST comes with a 18x6 and a pitts muffler
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10935.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	452257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49580.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	452258  
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: not fast enough

Whoa ....
Did I read right ? 16 pounds ? Is a pound over in OZ , the same as it is here in the States ? 16 ounces to a pound ?

Thats a LOT of weight .... How , or should I say why , is this hull so heavy ?
My canard running a 1.48 weighs half of yours running half the engine ....
Please let us know what you made your hull out of , or what you did that makes it so heavy .
Old 04-29-2006, 04:09 AM

hi 16 1/2 pound or 7 kilos rtr I made the ribs ,sides and front out of 6mm or about 1/4 inch ply,had heaps lying about, then i made 2 fibreglass sheets to cover top and bottom then i gel coated it which probably added 1 1/2 kilos or about 3 pound wish now i just painted it.This was and still is the only boat i have made no plans no idea of what i was doing first time i had any thing to do with nitro motors, only airboats i had seen were on Gentle Ben abouts 20 years ago,after i built it a friend told me about r/c uni. and after i looked at and read most of the posts i realised that it was to heavy but since it seemed to get up and go fairly well,quicker than my mates 2 foot bodyboard with a super tigre .40, i wasn't to worried but i now know it could handle a lot more speed thats why i asked the ? about a bigger motor.it's as solid as a brick s;;thouse which is good because there are big rocks all around where i use it a large tidal rock pool and it just bounces over them
Old 04-29-2006, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Hey ... I thought that phrase ( brick pooper house ) was an Amercan thingy ...

Anyway ... weight wise ... yes , a bigger engine would DEFINATELY do you better ( more HP , not so much the R's )
I would suggest a weed eater style 2 stroker , but , I think you might have probs then with the small size ( think it might be a tad too small for a weed eater engine in both length and width , but , with the heaviness of it , she might fair better than I think )
And if you go with nitro ... whew ... make sure , you have DEEP pockets ... those big engines when get over a 60 size , kinda like the juice a LOT more than their smaller buddies ( engines smaller than 60's - including quite a few of the 60 also )
But ya know ... top speed is NOT always what makes folks happy ... better handling , better stability ... these are VERY important . ( more so , than speed )
So , don't worry about the weight .... just do some changes ( motor ) and you'll be good to go .
OR>>>>>>> you can leave it the way it is , and learn to run an airboat , and have TONS of fun while doing it , and then later on , down the road , you can always change out the engine for a larger HP one , or , you could leave that set on the shelf , and build a new one . Then , you have the original and know what to do , and what not to do ....
Either way .... welcome to the FANTASTIC fun world of RC airboating and hey .... remember ... its all about FUN . ( and being careful too ! )
Keep us posted ... and by all means ... if you get out there and run more ... post some pics and PREFERABLY .... some vids . we ALL love vids here !
Old 04-29-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This [link=http://m-ab-a.com/Gallery/Cajun_Gator/HPIM0720a]Cajun Gator ST2300[/link] is 40" x 19 1/2" weighs just a tad under 15lbs RTR. I'm turning a 16" x 10" 3-blade pusher prop. The speed with a rador gun is 30mph(cheap gun so may not be right).
[link=http://m-ab-a.com/Gallery/albums/Cajun_Gator/purple_people_eater.wmv]ST2300 1[/link]
[link=http://m-ab-a.com/Gallery/albums/Cajun_Gator/St2300.wmv]ST2300 2[/link]
[link=http://m-ab-a.com/Gallery/albums/Cajun_Gator/PurplePeopleEater.wmv]ST2300 3[/link]
Old 04-29-2006, 04:48 PM

Now thats some hill climbing on that last video Mr Gator
wish my Gasser could do that [&o]

Video of my gasser on water
[link=http://m-ab-a.com/Gallery/albums/kevinboatman/April_21_06_rc_gasser_003.avi]click here[/link]
its not super fast but very stable in rough water
Old 05-04-2006, 07:18 AM

just got the bigger motor G2300 for $153.50 AU about $100US i think. i will put it on shortly and give it a run my mates got a camera so i will try and get some vid of it. Now i have a spare motor ,better do something about that, dam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki53512.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	455716  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: noslienk

Now i have a spare motor ,better do something about that, dam.
Yeap that is what I'm talking about get to the building man, now that you know what your engine can and will not do, build a hull to match it. Then you can set the water on fire, trying to catch that gator by the tail.....keep us post on your progress.