Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Flightcraft Shockwave

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 AM
blkexp98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flightcraft Shockwave

I have had a Flightcraft shockwave for years and havent had a place to run it since i moved. Well now i found place and want to bring it back to life. Can any of you who own this boat or other similar airboats give me some ideas of ways to improve it? The one problem i remember having is the rudder and throttle cable sleeve slipping and not always working right. As of now it has a os .35 (maybe .32) i think but ill have to check once i can get it from my parents house. I plan to put the carb needle on the back of the motor. So as it stands its stock.

What can i expect from this performance wise?

If any of you have any pictures, videos or good resource sites please feel free to post them.

Thanks,

Major

Old 07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Flightcraft Shockwave

There are a few of us here that do own that boat .
( I myself , included )
The 32 you have on there will do ok , but , if you want her to really scoot along , toss on a OS 46 ( or similiar engine ) .
To stop the plastic sleeve from moving , I dripped on a drizzle of CA glue and have not had any problems .
I also removed that rudder that come on it and replaced it with a real rudder from Aeromarine Laminates :
http://www.aeromarinerc.com/images/1300rudder.jpg
I also changed the rudder servo over to a Hitec 645MG servo:
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-645...ra_torque.html
At full throttle , she now turns on a dime [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Sorry , had some video on another RC forum , but can't seem to access it [&o]
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 PM
blkexp98

After looking at the OS .46 AX i think that may be the thing to do. Thats a good idea on the CA ill give that a try and the servo change may be good as well. I may try to fab a rudder from some aluminum i have since that factory rudder leaves allot to be desired. Did you ever see a need for one of the turn fins when you run yours. Id feel pretty slack turning it over after putting on a new motor. I wish i could get the lower center of gravity. That would help out allot with turning.

Thanks,

Major
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
TERBObob

Honestly ( this is NOT some line of bull ) ...
This hull is REALLY hard to flip ! ! !
I run mine WOT and crank up a FULL power turn and she sticks to the water like she's on rails .
( wish I could find one of my vids of her running , then you would see exactly what I am talking about )
The only time I ever turned her over was when I hit a partially submerged tree limb rolling down the water that I did not see . No damage was done , other than that she flipped and I had to recover her and get the engine cleared out and fired back up and up to temp , to get any remaining water out of the crank .
Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
blkexp98

I bought the OS .46 AX so i should have that all put together soon. Should make for a good increase in power too.

I am planning on making a rudder for it to replace the factory one instead of buying one. (Im a tinkerer) Is there any rule of thumb to its size and proportions? Ive considered dual rudders, a single rudder, an "air" rudder or a combination of a smaller air rudder and a water one. What direction do yall think i should go?

If im thinking right a water rudder will be much more controlable and may be better on a faster boat. The air rudder will give me less drag in the water and that should add some speed but i wont be able to turn as well. So it will be more of a slide vs a more directional movement. Thats where the air and water rudder idea came in to play. I just dont have any idea what sizes to start with. I have some aluminul i would use for the water rudder and some composits i would use for the air rudder. 1/16" G10 and 1/16" carbon fiber.

Anyone know a good way to affix a metal tube to a piece of aluminum that i can use as the pivot for the rudder? The aluminum i have is 1/8" so a drilled hole isnt really and option unless i bolt 2 pieces together. I would thin the rudder down to maybe 1/16" at the widest spot hitting the water as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
blkexp98

Well i had to make some higher mounts for the airboat so it will fit a 11" prop but now im almost good to go. I am having a little issue though. With it just sitting in the bathtub the boat is a little lower in the back than i would like. I had a piece of aluminum angle so i tied that on and sat a bottle of rubbing alcohol on it since its a little larger than the recomended fuel tank size and thats when i see the weight issue. The alcohol bottle comes to roughly 475 cc's capacity and the recomended size is 300 cc's so i had a little more weight than there would be.

Is there anything short of trying to add a weight to the front to counter this?

I havent run this in so long i cant remember but will a airboat pull itself up and lower the front under power or will it lean back like a normal boat?

My idea on the water and air rudder was kind of shot down once i saw the size of the tank and how it would block most of the air for a rudder so this will use a water rudder. I could try some trim tabs if it came to it but id rather not add too much drag.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 PM
jasperrc

I would try it as is. Typically the boat should get up on plain and level out. The prop will put downforce on the bow as well. Just sitting there, I would say the stern being lower is not an issue.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 PM
TERBObob

The SHOCKWAVE , ( unless you have a WAY over - sized engine on it ) should sit flat ( on the water when at idle ) and will remain the same whilst running .
Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
e123

I got one of these boats for Christmas a LONG time ago and never got around to putting it all together. It has never seen water but I still have it with a never used TT .40 engine. I think I am finally going to get it in the water this summer. Are there still parts available for this thing since it is so old now?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:42 PM
blkexp98

Just wanted to add a little update. I have been running the boat and so far its really fun with that motor. I really wish i could get the rear a little lighter though as it sits really low at idle. I have a plug in the drain hole in the back becuase thats under water at idle. I do have a few ounce weight in the battery side of the electronics box and that helps some.

I am also still trying to think of ideas for a new rudder but dont know a goo size, shape or length. I do have a decent design where it can flip up if its beached or hits something but thats just on paper now.

Jasperrc: Like you said once its up to speed the boat levels out. At about 3/4 throttle the boat is pretty much all the way out of the water. I may run it in a lake this weekend so if i do ill try to get a video with my digital camera even though the quality wont be that good.

Is there any way to relocate the fuel tank to the area above the servos or will the line just be too long to work right?

My hull is getting briddle with age as well. Are there any good ways to fix it? I have thought about trying to make a mold from it so i can make a fiberglass version sometime but that also hasnt happened. My last try at that with a riflestock worked pretty good.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

We want picturese!!!
Some of my Flightcraft's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62394.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	984727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15029.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	984728  
Old 05-12-2022, 01:36 PM
miktar51
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parts needed

I know this thread is old but it's worth a try... Would like to find/get some parts for one of these FlightCraft airboats am in need of a rudder assembly and canopy...as for the rudder if anyone has one or could suggest alternatives I would welcome any information, including the amount of rudder movement or deflection suggested in assembly manual...I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a manual either...please respond via email to:
Mike Tarbell
[email protected]