RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

swamnp buggy brushed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
mjderstine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swamnp buggy brushed

Hi guys,

I am planning on using two http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXJ766&P=K for a project I have. I understand that using brushless should be my goal for this project but I am going to start with the 600 brushed motors for now.

My question is this. Can I use one 60 amp ESC for these motors which are rated at 26-28 amps?

I know that with Car ESC when you have two motors wired in parallel the esc needs to have twice the motor limit, ie. two 19T motors needs to have one ESC with at least a 9 turn limit.

Does the comparison work with the Flight ESC's too in regards to the amp draw from each motor and the limits of the ESC.

Does a 60 amp ESC equal two 30 amp motors?

thanks for taking the time to look over this for me.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
D Bronk

Default RE: swamnp buggy brushed

Hi ,mjderstine..I`m not trying to chase you out of the Airboat Forums.I just thought that, maybe, you didn`t know about the Electric forums here at RCU..I`m sure that there`s Guys` in this Forum that Know what they`re doing with electrics..Me, I have no use for that power source myself,but, I know it is becoming popular with people in Noise restricted areas,so,Electrics have there places,Just not with me..LOL

This is just another place/option, that you can get your answers,for your electric Questions..[8D] ........Dave.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_227/tt.htm
Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Sorry for going somewhat off-topic in your thread... but I wanted to quickly bring up another option.

I've noticed more talk about electric airboats recently. So I just wanted to say that very small brushless airboats are extremely cheap to make although I never have made one myself. I do plan to though, hence my sig. $15 or $20 gets you a brushless motor, brushless esc, and a prop at www.unitedhobbies.com (I prefer)(also good for servos) or for all you e-bay freaks there's this place [link=http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm]link[/link] There are at least 3 boats with this "brushless package" with at least pictures in the last 4 pages of this forum. Two are flat bottoms and I can't find the link to the 3-pointer I was looking for, there's a video of it moving like a rocket though.

EDIT: I just realized that what I said was just covered in the "FIRST TIMER PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!" thread. Sorry.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
mjderstine

no problem. i asked in the elec forum as well. i just thought i would cover all my bases. since it is an airboat, and i have seen some guys with a brushless conversion, i figured this was an acceptable place to ask.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
mrfixitwhite

i was wondering if you were going to use the motors on the same channel as all for power or if you have 2 esc's you could try a thrust differential setup! so you dont need an air/water rudder!
i think its my 3 pointer that koolaid man may have seen - at least i hope it is! lol
this has the brushless combo setup on it and yes it does go some!
i expect with 2 600 motors you could get some speed up though!
what design are you planning on
you can see from my pics mine runs like a 3ish pointer (tunnel hull rear so 4 points really) but the more that doesnt touch the water at speed the better
hence thats why i modded the sponsens to run on the narrower points when it gets on plane.
i like how it runs now and with the water rudder its very responsive
good luck with you build though-i'll be checking back for some pics soon i hope
electric is definatley getting there... slowly!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54737.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	858111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62581.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	858112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65079.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	858113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35001.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	858114  
Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Yes, it was your 3-pointer I saw. Nice work! It appears to be extremely fast from the video I saw.

My thought on the 2 motors and 2 esc's idea of turning is that it's not a good idea. If you want, go for it, I'm all up for experiments but here's my thoughts. Ever seen those 2 prop Walmart boats? They slow down big time in the turns because they are only turning with half the power. Also, I would think that would cause it to be easier to flip in comparison to two motors and a rudder(either kind). And it would be very tricky to set up, I don't know how you would program that to work on a 2 channel transmitter(although maybe just two throttle sticks?). I just figured to share my thoughts. Think about it and maybe your logic will be different(and possibly correct). Another way of "inventive" turning where the motor(s) pivot to change the direction of the pushed air has been tested and did not work well. I'd stick with a rudder or two.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
mjderstine

thanks for the response guys.

I plan to use a pusher and puller design and have created a small drawing of my plan to control the thing. i know its not the best drawing, but its the plan for now.

i also won't be using any kind of thrust differential because they will be mounted in the pusher pulling setup.

i will start the project when my lil bird 2 gets built first

Name:	Ec87524.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	859874  
Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

I see you're going for unique. That should work well. And I hate to tell you this but that design has been done. At least you could be the first to do this with electric maybe. Well here's the boat I'm talking about. It's one of asmithnc's builds. Maybe he could fill us in on it? Going by the picture I'm not sure if he finished it or not.

Name:	Sq48404.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	860163  
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
mjderstine

i understand that it may not be the first time its been done. I hope we might get some input form some more builders of airboats.
The only custom work that i will actually be doing is coming from the motor mounting pod and the rudder assembly. the rest of the boat will still be a dumas swamp buggy.

i will be using two 680 motors with one as a gear drive and one as a direct drive for thrust and top speed performance.

talk to you soon guys
Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 AM
D Bronk

Why not put the motors side x side, use the rudders as original plans show ?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM
mjderstine

if i go side by side, i will still be using about 10" props. i would have to overlap the propellers and hope they dont ever hit eachother.

i don't know what the final project will look like until i actually start to build it. its still in the box at this point because i have a glider i need to finish first.

i will definately let you all know what i plan to do.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
crispyspa

I know this one! Set one engine/motor back further than the other. That way you can get the motors closer without having to worry about props hitting.
I think it was shaunmichealjohsnon who did this with a gasser airboat....Talk about POWER!