Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

2nd airboat and want to improve

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 PM
wat/can/i/do/guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd airboat and want to improve

ok so this is my second boat and i want a 11 by 8 hull with a lrp marine speed control with a 4200 7.2 battery. i want a puller but idk wat prop and motor to use that would make it go 14+ mph. wat radio to use
Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 2nd airboat and want to improve

iv done a boat witha 7.2v battery, 20t motor and 10X6 puller prop. its not 14mph, more like 5-8ish. iv bought a 10X8 and a 10X10, but i have yet to try them out. they will pull more than the prop iv used, but only if the motor can still reach the same rpms with the higher pitch prop as it does with the current prop.
in a couple of weeks tho, im gonna start using a gws outrunner motor with a 2s lipo. that motor should ourperform the 20t brushed motor by a bit.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
mr. ilikehelp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd airboat and want to improve

11 inches by 8 inches daniel? thats kinda small and i dont think you need the lrp marine i think the lrp runnerplus will work considering you propably wont have any thing more than a 15t moter. and ur motor will depend on your prop size so if it eight inches wide you could run like a 7 inch propb with maybe like a 6 pitch and put a 550 size 20t moter on it or go high rpm and gear down to get more tourge and have your prop spin and about 13000 rpm cuz thats about where props are efficient so like youve told me u wanna build balsa with a thin ply covering well if you want to achiv egreater speeeds than u have to consider things like drag so you may want to build a 3 point hydro or a tunnel hull. now at 14mph steering can cause problems beacause boats can flip espeacally one that size so maybe build three point hydro with a wide stance and tri air ruders since living in mn like me you will want to do snow running. oh and battery u want 4200 while if you have an efficient moter you could maybe drop it down a lil bit and save some wieght. now ur proabably thinking its going to skip like my boat well i think moter placement will change that. wow this is extremely long know i know u want to build balsa and but wieght slows the boat so for lightness build depron its lighter and stronge and gets some thin 3 mm and skin to layers with that and your hul is feather light. also replace your fin metal rods like on your old boat with carbon fiber like on mine now u could jusst do a water rudder and that would be easy. now like i said lighter the faster so maybe buy a small 20 gram water proof servo. now radio you will want to run a surface radio like in your current boat. if i were you keep the same one it seems to me it works fine. so yeah if u want to talk about these ideas call me, u have my number oh and my boat should be finished to run by sat afternoon and ill paint after the 20th so yeah thats all i got for now.