Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Qestions from a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
tzem68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qestions from a Newbie

I am new to the forum, but would love to build an RC airboat using a 25cc Homelite engine. Fast is always fun, but it's more important to me to have something big and stable.

The size that I've got in mind is roughly 18" x 40". I know it's not going to set any speed records, but if I can make it light enough, I think it'll scoot well enough.

Questions:

MATERIAL OF CONSTRUCTION - For my first boat, I was leaning more towards a foam hull. Can anybody please recommend what kind of foam? Is there something that you can wrap it with when you're finished for looks? If fuel is spilled does it melt the foam?

PUSHER OR PULLER? - I'd like to know the advantages to each.

Any more suggestions would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

Todd
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
kokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Qestions from a Newbie

i use Baltser and PlanePlywood
but foam is also a way to gow.

puller is easyer to ceep cool, i have made 2 pushers and killed 2 electric motors on it
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Qestions from a Newbie

to help keep it stable, use a prop that is 2-3 inches shorter than the width of the hull.

others that i have seen with a sim sized motor had hulls smaller than your proposed size. i would look on youtube and the RCU members gallery for gasser airboats. check out the over-all size, and ask what the prop size/pitch were. i cant give you numbers, iv only built a electric version.