Few speed/rule questions on airboats

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Few speed/rule questions on airboats

Hi Guys,

I understand there are plenty of classes and a few associations with regard to airboating.

I have a few questions with regard to outright speed record rules (if theres anything official out there).

Are there rules with regard to the type of hull or size of hull (are vee bottoms allowed?) or is it Flat bottoms and hydros (are they recorded separately?)

Are there rules with regard to power plant type or capacity?

Are there rules with regard to the prop drive - must it be direct?

What is the protocol for attempting a record (must it be part of a club event etc).

I guess I should just ask for copies of the different associations rules with respect to speed

I have a few ideas bouncing around for something that may work. A few of the ideas I have are a little different to what I have seen - does not mean it will work though - or that it will be counted by the rules.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Few speed/rule questions on airboats

[link=http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=231f1eb6724b7397f78c7a0ef0089dd7]RCAA Speed Records[/link]
You will be able to find info here.

"I have a few questions with regard to outright speed record rules (if theres anything official out there)."
Regarding the RCAA, we are an internet based club that has found a way for everyone to be able to take part in without having to travel 1/2 way around the world to participate in an event to show what your boat is capable of. I have looked into what it takes to be an "official" organization, there is a lot of red tape involved. Not to mention insurance and liability. We have been gaining the attention of NAMBA and the IMPBA, we are hoping that as we get more of their attention, they will give us a spot in their organization.

"Are there rules with regard to the type of hull or size of hull (are vee bottoms allowed?) or is it Flat bottoms and hydros (are they recorded separately?)"
The RCAA classiffies hulls into three categories.
1) Flat Bottom - A complety flat bottom boat.
2) Modified Flat Bottom - This would include v-hulls, step hulls, or any other possible creation one may be able to do with a mono hull.
3) Hydro - This would include catamaran, 3 pointers, outriggers, or any other multi hull set up.

"Are there rules with regard to power plant type or capacity?"
NITRO
Each class will be broken into two categories. Stock and Hot Motors. Stock motors are stock aircraft motors. Hot motors are modified stock engines or any any engine designed specifically for high performance. The RCAA Board of Directors will determine if any motor will be labeled as a Hot Motor. Stock motors are not permitted to run tuned pipes.

A = 00 -.15
B = .16 -.25
C = .26 - 39
D = .40 - .46
E = .47 -.61
F = .62 - .75
G = .76 - .1.00
H = 1.01 - up
I = Unlimited - This class includes ducted fans.
J = Turbine, jet engines, pulse jets, etc.

Airboats running multiple motors will be based upon total combined cc's.

=================================================

GASSERS
Each class will be broken into two categories. Stock and Hot Motors. Stock motors are pure stock motors. Hot motors are modified stock engines or any any engine designed specifically for high performance. The RCAA Board of Directors will determine if any motor will be labeled as a Hot Motor. Stock motors are not permitted to run tuned pipes.

G1 = 0cc - 23cc
G2 = 24cc - 34cc
G3 = 35cc - 42cc
G4 = 43cc – 86cc
G5 = 87cc - up

Airboats running multiple motors will be based upon total combined cc's.

"Are there rules with regard to the prop drive - must it be direct?"
....as long as it stays on. LOL

"What is the protocol for attempting a record (must it be part of a club event etc)."
RCAA speed records are for RCAA members only. There are no dues to pay, just bring your fun, excitement, and good sportsmanship.

Top Speed Challenge
There are no limits on hull design, size, or any motor limitations. The airboat must be radio controlled, propelled by an air prop. The airboat must also remain in contact with the surface. No vehicles specifically designed to fly or aircraft such as airplanes, floatplanes, flying boats, WIGS, etc are allowed. The run must be a controlled run. No blow-overs or flips.

All runs must be made with an onboard GPS. We will designate one person to assure the boat is set to zero and to announce the exact speed of the boat when it returns to shore. Before the run, the GPS must be shown set to zero. When the boat is brought back in the designated person will retrieve the boat and bring it further on shore to display the achieved speed.

To hold an official RCAA Record, you must be a member of the RCAA. The speed run must be documented by video in accordance with the stipulations stated below. The video must be unedited, with the exception of adding titles/credits before or after the video. The video must be submitted by the RCAA member who is claiming the record.

Video Stipulations
When documenting your speed, the video must be taped in this fashion. The video must start by showing the GPS maximum speed set between zero and 5 mph in or on the boat. The camera must not pan away or lose sight of the boat from the time the GPS has been shown to read between 0 - 5 mph to the time after the run when the GPS is shown displaying the max speed. The video must show the boat coming ashore and the GPS being removed and/or being shown to display the maximum speed achieved. The video must also be accompanied with original sound. The only editing allowed will be at the beginning and the end of the video for purposes of adding titles and credits.

The stipulations on how the video must be documented are to ensure that the contest is fair and no one has the ability to alter the true readings achieved.

If there are any controversies on a video... the validity of the record will be voted on by the members of RCAA. Any decisions will be based solely on the stipulations set forth for the contest.

"I have a few ideas bouncing around for something that may work. A few of the ideas I have are a little different to what I have seen - does not mean it will work though - or that it will be counted by the rules."
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM
crispyspa

OK Justaddwata....what do you have up your sleeve??
Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I appreciate all the info Chris - thank you

Is there a list of current records (more for curiosity than my belief/delusion in surpassing one)

I might have to wait a little while before sharing too much on whats pulsing through my head - nothing real radical. But I know how it can sound when someone new comes along with all kinds of crazy ideas on how they will make ridiculous speeds with their first boat While it may not be as fast as I hope - I just wanted to be aware of speed rules in the chance that it may have a shot.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
asmithnc

Link to the record page.

http://www.rcairboats.net/RCAA.html

Do you have an Airboat. Do I need to brush the dust off and get ready for a challenge!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Selph-Inflicted

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

I appreciate all the info Chris - thank you

Is there a list of current records (more for curiosity than my belief/delusion in surpassing one)

I might have to wait a little while before sharing too much on whats pulsing through my head - nothing real radical. But I know how it can sound when someone new comes along with all kinds of crazy ideas on how they will make ridiculous speeds with their first boat While it may not be as fast as I hope - I just wanted to be aware of speed rules in the chance that it may have a shot.
Our pleasure Justaddwatta!

The records page is the current records. You can click [link=http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=18]here also for some more videos of record attempts.[/link] This is also the best place to get all the information and videos on records and attempts.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MABA is not so much into speed records, but we do lap time records. We will soon set up with a speed trap for SAW records. All records are set by boat class. Even though we do have our lucky run records we talk about with each other, our records are only set at MABA events on a set size track and timing equipment.