Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to boats - recommendations on kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to boats - recommendations on kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 PM
kloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boats - recommendations on kit

I'm new to r/c boats (but not to model building or r/c in general) and was just wondering if anyone has suggestions for decent kits. I still haven't decided whether to get a deep vee or a hydro, or whether to get an all wood kit or a plastic or fibreglass hull.

so far, ive heard that the FDM 22 ( or 21) and graupner electro-vee are good. I won't mind getting an all-wood kit (built a couple of model aircraft kits, I assume its pretty similar?!?), but I'd prefer to get a kit with instructions, instead of just getting a hull. Thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 02:58 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all what I tell everybody getting into boats for the first time or getting back into it, what do you want? How much do you want to spend? You are the one that has to be happy with your purchase or else you will be disappointed really fast. Look around in web sites and magazines to see what turns your crank then come back to us and we'll give you our HONEST opinion. Just because a magazine says it's a good boat doesn't mean that it is. They are out to sell advertising space and they aren't by dissing somebodies product. Spend good money the first time and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:22 PM
kloud

I would like to get a catamaran or out rigger, but I'm afraid theyll flip over. I hear that your supposed to run them on quiet, calm water, all of the lakes I know have ripples. Itd be dissapointing if my boat flipped over and got stuck in the middle of the lake.

I'd like a 6 cell deep vee, thats moderately fast.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

For a first boat, I'd stay away from an outrigger. No, the water doesn't have to be calm, as a matter of fact, some boats perform better with some mild wave action, it helps to break the hull loose from the water.
Flipping over is a way of life for boats. That's the way when we've found out the we've gone too far with our setups. Carry a fishing pole at least or get a cheap inflatable 2 or 3 man boat. I bought another one last Saturday for $23.00 with oars. Just watch when you retrieve your boat, you don't want any sharp objects to hit and give you a leak.
There are lots of decently running 6-cell boats out there today, your best bet performance wise is to buy the parts needed and put it together yourself. f you're budget minded, look at what Tower Hobbies, Hobby Lobby, Horizon or some of the bigger distributors have.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:41 PM
hifonixs

Default boats???

i am a r/c boat dealer and live on long island if you want to take a look at some boats i got a bunch gas nitro and electric. i also run a r/c boat club here your are more then welcome to come down and check it out. also some of my club members are selling boats. i can be reached at 631 697 8201 or email at [email protected]
Old 08-18-2003, 03:41 AM
hifonixs

Default boat club

he is the link to our club site free to join and anyone is welcome please feel free to post any thing at all
Old 08-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Pagemaster

As a first time rc boater I would start out with a electric mono. They are easy to setup and keep running. The FDM kits you spooke about are good ones.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com