Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Hey,
Myself and a couple of my friends have recently gotten into RC boating. We have taken the electric route, but we are having a few problems. I built my boat using a 14 turn modified 540 size motor on a direct-drive setup with a Novak esc and Im using a standard 6 cell battery. The problem is cooling. This bad boy gets going pretty fast and I am pleased with the speed. But, after about one battery run, the esc starts to cut out and I am dead in the water for a few minutes until it cools down, then im back up, but only for a very short time until it cuts out again. This cycle continues and isnt much fun. When I get the boat out of the water, the esc is quite warm and the battery is too hot to touch. This same setup in an RC car wouldnt get so hot, but since everything is sealed inside the boat, there is very little air circualting to cool the electronics. How do I overcome this problem. How do you get a fast electric boat without catching it on fire? I have a water cooler hooked up on the motor, but I am not using a water cooled esc. Do they work better? Id love some good advice from some people who have successfully run fast electics. Thanks very much,
Kevin
Old 08-17-2003, 01:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Overheating

You might have to go to a smaller prop. This will place less load on the motor, helping to keep it cooler. Novak used to make a water cooling system for their ESC's, if they still do, I don't know.