Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Introduction and questions >

Introduction and questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Introduction and questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and questions

Hi all by way of quick introduction. My name is don. I have been into rc someway or another for quit a few years. Planes, cars and now boats, and here come the questions. I picked up a robbe norderney from a yard sale several years ago, it was pretty much built but had the mast and boathouse pretty much smashed up. None of the detail work was done, the railings the smoke stack, all the little things. Whoever had started building had put the motor in half way but no radio work or servos, or speed controller. It sat like this in storage till about a month ago and I was going to get rid of it but just couldn't.

There were no parts or any instructions to finish it so i found some pictures from the Internet of other builds and pictures from the real deal. So I have been scratch building things based of pictures and it has come along nicely, on the outside. I had an old radio from futaba that still works great so will probably use that. I am not sure whether or not the motors still work or not. There are two robbe motors in it and one prop. The other looks like all the blades have been broken off.

What kind of props so I use? What kind of battery does this beast use and what kind of speed controller? The picture of the one norderney i found that I have been using to build the parts for had two speed controllers in it. Is this necessary?

Thanks in advance any of you can send my way.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Introduction and questions

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; "><div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Provided that the radio is legal in your area for surface use, shouldn't be a problem there.<div>Easy enough to check the motors - just hook them up to power and see what happens.  This could also give a clue to the voltage required.</div><div>On a two prop boat with two motors, usually they will counter rotate, so all it needs is the appropriate hand and size prop, same size as the one you have, opposite hand.  if its a Robbe kit, there is probably a Robbe part number.  If not, it will need a new pair (beware, continental European makers sight their turn direction from inside the boat looking out, the rest of us do it the other way round), probably threaded M4.</div><div>For batteries, you use what will fit.  If there is a label on the motors, there might be a clue to voltage, but commonly, when it was designed, the norm would be a SLA of a voltage to suit the motors and ESC, again, normally its the biggest that you can fit while maintaining trim and keeping the boat on the surface and having access.  Fortunately, most decent battery sellers give dimensions, so you can make cardboard dummies of the batteries to check fit, and the weight, so you can do test ballasting before buying.</div></div></span>