Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to nitro and i dont want to ruin my K&B 7.5 OB

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to nitro and i dont want to ruin my K&B 7.5 OB

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 06:55 PM
njmoheet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to nitro and i dont want to ruin my K&B 7.5 OB

I just recently gave up on electrics and bought a Prather Racing Tunnel with a K&B 7.5cc outboard. Before it gets here and I have the urge to just crank it up, I think I should figure out the right way to deal with a nitro engine. I literally know nothing other than i need to buy a glow plug igniter and an electric starter. I read a post about how to hook up the fuel lines for this engine on this page and it helped immensely. But i need to know even more basic things like what kind of fuel to use, how often ill need to change glow plugs, and just basic maintenance. If anyone has first hand experience with this engine and can offer me any advice or point me to a website that has is kind of info i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:28 PM
hifonixs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default link

http://www.funrcboats.com
Old 08-23-2003, 04:21 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New to nitro and i dont want to ruin my K&B 7.5 OB

I'll try to answer some of your questions. I just sold my DPI 7.5 OB tunnel last week.
Change glow plugs when they blow out. For fuel, you can run up to 50% with no trouble but the higher the nitro, the more temperamental they are. Use fuel made for boats, it has a higher oil content in it.
Remember that the K&B outboards run backwards compared to other engines. Reverse the starter wiring when hooking to a battery.
To lube the flex cable which should be done often, remove the drive from the lower unit behind the prop. The threads are left-handed so keep this in mind or you'll never get it off. Use a good waterproof grease or a 50/50 mixture of STP and 20w50 racing oil.
You should use an after-run oil after a days running. Marvel Mystery Oil is one of the best things to use. Pull the plug or just put some down the carb and crank the motor over with the fuel line disconnected.
If you want the best web site for outboarders, join up in www.intlwaters.com .
You'll have more questions once you get the boat so keep them coming and I'll see if I can answer them.