Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with fuel combos for G23 Zenoah Motor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help with fuel combos for G23 Zenoah Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 03:42 AM
muxster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fuel combos for G23 Zenoah Motor

I a newbie obviously...I'm runnin a G23cc Zenoah motor. Wondering what folks run in terms of fuel? 2 cycle oils etc..?

Is Castrol a good brand? Is there something better? I doubt my local Lawn Mower shop is going to have anything HI PERFORMANCE...LOL

What do you run?

Thanks...Mux
Old 08-30-2003, 03:43 AM
muxster

PS..Is AV gas bad for the little motors? Like 105 octane etc?

mux
Old 08-30-2003, 04:33 AM
Turn&Burn

Hey Mux, Welcome to the boards.... I would stick to high grade gas at the local gas station.....Now aviation fuel will work but it is leaded fuel which is not very good for these motors...I ran some in an old Zenoah and it was full of carbon after a gallon of gas....Also I would stick with 100% synthetic oil which produces no carbon aswell, any top brand will work like Amsoil, Honda SP-2 are among the best (i run the Honda SP-2 in my zen's and homies)..... all IMHO.. You can eat off of the inside of my motors....If you like a hint of 93 octane...
Old 08-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Default Stick with what the manf. of your engines says.

Run the regular 89% octane gas & a good synthetic oil.

Higher octane doesn't mean it'll make more power.

This subject has been brought up dozens of times over at JimsRCBoatdock. A lot of knowledge over there.

Now if its working for Turn&Burn, then I might have to give it a second thought for a little splash of 93 in my tank once in a while.

I like to run mine rich. 7-8 oz per gallon. Helps with the extra heat of a tuned pipe and an aircooled engine.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:58 PM
hifonixs

Default oils

i use 89 ocyane and amsoil racing oil (2 stroke) at 25:1 (6 oz. oil to 1 gallon of fuel
Old 08-30-2003, 01:46 PM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

HIfonix is right on the money in my book. Run the same in every way.
Curt
Old 08-31-2003, 02:37 AM
RcBoatLover
My Feedback: (1)

Remember the Zenoah is a water cooled engine so you need to use oil made for water cooled engines due to the difference in operating temprature. You won't find this at your local lawn mower shop, you will have to go to your boat dealer, walmart, etc.

I use Quick Silver brand oil made by Mercury and mix it 7 to 8 oz per gallon with super unleaded gas.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:11 PM
muxster

Thanks! the gal that sold me the boat included a Homelite little bottle of oil..it was 1 to 1 gallon of gas. I ran Special Unleaded from Mobil which is 90 octane? I think...

I took the boat for the 1st time as I received it yesterday...MAN it was fun!!!!

Habor Park (close to San Pedro. Its a big deal for me cuz there is no whereelse to run around here.) is not far from my house and it was a great time...I need to get a little inflateable just in case...

The boat handled Beatifully and turn radius was excellent...

This is my 1st boat so to speak...I was stoked..!

Mux
Old 09-01-2003, 06:00 AM
Doubledog

Thats good stuff man. These boats are a ball aren't they.

Are you running in saltwater? No real problems, just be sure to wash it off and get inside the cooling ports real good. Radio, keep it sealed.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:56 PM
muxster

I live 1 block from King Harbor in Redondo Beach. I bet they would run me out of there quickly...

Mux..
Old 09-01-2003, 05:40 PM
RcBoatLover

That Homelight oil is made for air cooled engines. I would burn up the gas in your lawnmower and mix some fresh stuff with an oil made for water cooled engines. Like I said the running temprature is different between the two types of engines. I don't know how important is to use the correct oil, but it never hurts to play it safe. The correct oil is alot cheaper that a new Zen!

I took my boat out yesterday too! Man did we have some fun!!! The boat was out of the water as much as it was in the water. There was no wind, but the other boats stired up the water pretty fast! Good luck.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:56 AM
muxster

http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/...7/Catalog/1308

that is the link for Amsoil...

what are the other brands for watercooled engines? What are the weblinks? Thanks...

I have nothing out here..ECHO brand, I saw today at HomeDepot. Im surrounded by an ocean yet no one runs model boats out here...

Thanks...

I finally made a sweet PVC stand and bought some stuff to run water to the boat from the hose.

I started the engine today and my dad seems to think that that the motor is not running quite par. Im hesitant to monkey with the mixture screws.

Mux
Old 09-03-2003, 01:40 AM
RcBoatLover

Go to a local boat dealer and buy 2 cycle oil for water cooled boat engines. Alot of people use Quick Silver brand made by Mercury Marine. Any dealer will have it. It's a good quality oil and at 7 to 8 oz per gallon my engine is still shinny inside.

If your going to play with the carb settings I would start with the High speed needle. It should be around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns open. Give it about an 1/8th turn at a time and see what happens. After a few trys you should find a sweet spot that makes the engine run the best. At this point I would install a new spark plug and run a few tanks through it. After wards you should be able to pull the plug and check the color of the tip. If it's white you are running too lean! Back the needle out alittle. Black it's too rich, and you need to turn it in alittle. If it's brown you have it just right. Put a 1/4" piece of fuel line on the screw so it can't turn from vibrations and have fun!

The low speed needle is used when the engine is at idle to mid speed. I forget how many turns it has to be at because I never play with it. You shouldn't have to either, unless the boat dosn't idle well or it has a poor transition between med speed to high.

Hope that helps!!! Have fun, and go buy some good OIL! Your engine will thankyou.

P.S. I would try the other oil before you change the needle setting.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:57 AM
muxster

Where can I buy online? My hobby shops do not sell boat stuff for big boats..they are not popular at all in SO CAL..sucks...

Mux
thanks for the info on the adjustment. I am not going to monkeyy with it...

= )
Old 09-03-2003, 06:36 PM
muxster

IS This the stuff your talking about?

http://outfittersparadise.com/o/Mari...ons_298490.htm
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Doubledog

I'm not a racer but I do believe in the synthetic.

Amsoil would be my first
Klotz
Penzoil
Honda
and a bunch of others.

You should be able to go to walmart and get the Penzoil or better yet, go to a local motorcylce shop and see what they have for the bikes.

Try www.screamandfly.com and do a search for sythetic oil and see what you get. Some of the nations best outboard guru's visit there. Guys that spend over 5 grand in just a powerhead and they run nothing but those Ive named and a few others.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:10 PM
muxster

I imagine your talking about this powerhead...LOL

Mux
Old 09-04-2003, 07:24 AM
canadianjosh

Up here in canada PetroCan has a grade of gas that is 98 octance but has a tacrol TM additive that apparently "cleans as you drive" and produces 15% less emmisions, about $1.00/liter
Old 09-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Frequency47

Default Would this help?

Learning from other helicopter pilots that run the G231 PUH, witch is slightly different than the marine version you might look into the Blue Mable synthetic oil mixed at 26:1. It works well and is endorsed by Hanson. He modifies engines for tose photo heli's and other projects.

This stuff is about 70.00 a gallon.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:56 PM
muxster

Thank you all for the tips.

2 cycle engine oil for let's say an outboard boat motor can be used for these little 23cc motors?

Mux.

WHERE CAN I BUY PROP GREASE? Hobby People in Southern Ca DO NOT carry any boat stuff at all anymore. I was there last night and the guy said they are NOT doing any gas boats at all.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Frequency47

I have no isea about boat stuff, I was just cruising through the threads and saw that you have a simular engine.

Go to WWW.NuLubes.com for the Blue Marble Oil.

Good luck and I hope I helped little bit.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:02 AM
RcBoatLover

Outboard boat motor oil is what I would suggest. You can get away with oil for air cooled engines, but why not use the right stuff. There are many great brands out there, and what to use is a matter of choise. I hear great things about Amsol and Quick Silver brands, so I plan to stick with what every one elce is using. I wouldn't use the stuff made for weedeaters if I were you. Go to a boat dealer or motor cycle shop (for Amsol) and pick up a quart or two. At 7 to 8 oz per gallon it will last a long time.

As for prop grease, once again you will find that it's a matter of personal choise. Almost any grease works! Most try to use one designed to stay put in water, such as trailer bearing grease. You can pick some up at the boat dealer when you go for the oil!

You will find that the RC boat hobby causes you to be resorceful. Most hobby shops don't carry boat parts, so you have to find other ways of doing things. A great web site to check out is Jim's Dock Side. It's all about Gas Rc

boats.http://pub208.ezboard.com/bjimsrcboatdock
Old 09-05-2003, 12:00 PM
riph
My Feedback: (26)

One of the best flex shaft grease that I have found is Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C. Buy it at your Mercury boat dealer. I install an oiler tube in all my boats when I install the stuffing tube. I use a mix of 50% 30 weight oil and 50% STP to pump into the oiler tube after each run. At the end of the day I pull the shaft, clean and grease with the 2-4-C.

I use Honda HP-2 oil to mix with the gas (7oz per gallon) but Quicksilver or Penzoil 2 stroke Outboard oil will also work fine and are a lot cheaper.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:27 PM
muxster

Here is an excerp from JIM'S BOAT DOCK...

Re: Oil questions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use Castrol Syntec (outboar motor oil)...works great...formulated for watercooled outboard engines. I have also used Honda HP2 with great success. Both seem to be great oils, the Castrol is less expensive and is just easier for me to get my hands on. Got caught one weekend with no oil, and Honda shop was closed! That's when and why I switched to Castrol...can get it at any Wallmart! There are many great synthetic oils out there...chose one, try to stick with it (as some synthetics don't blend well with other kinds) and mix to proper ratios.

====
Yamalube <- my marine store has this

===
Klotz R50

====

QUESTION - should these synthetics be mixed at 38:1 ?

thanks..

MUX
Old 09-05-2003, 03:41 PM
riph
My Feedback: (26)

Most of the competition racers are using 7 to 8 oz per gal even when they use syn. oil. 38:1 is only 3.3 oz. I would never use less than 5 0z 25:1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.