Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help with boat

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM
ryeguy247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with boat

Hey guys, i recently aquired a 45" mono deep v hull from a friend. i purchased a dual rudder set up offline to get me startedwww.ebay.ca/itm/dual-rudder-with-strut-for-1-4-flex-shaft-rc-boat-/130474720518. it seemed like a reasonably priced rudder for a begginer boat build. im not really going for extreme speed i just want to learn the roaps of how everything really works together.

i just want to make sure im on the right track with things and how i have it layed out.
the hull is about 8 inches deep and about 14 inches wide

heres some pics to better explain how i have it mounted, i dont have the engine,prop,shaft or rudders installed yet.

Thanks for the help guys!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57133.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1860472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61336.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1860473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18438.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1860474  
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 PM
w3bby

Default RE: Help with boat

Most Vs are set up with surface drive so you would want to raise the whole strut assembly so that the propshaft will come through the transom. You may also wish to offset the drive slightly to the right to reduce propwalk although a nice sharp prop can help just as well.

Have a look at some of the other build threads on here for ideas.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
ryeguy247

Thanks Ian, the only reason i had it sitting that low we beacuse when i had the boat loaded with the engine and all parts resting basically where they were going to be placed the prop wouldnt be below the water if it was up any higher on the transom. is this a problem having the prop partially out of the water?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:09 PM
w3bby

The term is surface drive and is normally faster, so no should not a problem. Depending on your motor/power available you will want to balance the hull at about 28-30% of the length from the stern. Put up a few more pics of the boat so we get a complete picture. More pics, better advice.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM
ryeguy247

hey, heres some more pics, its still basically in the rough condition i got it in. still a lot fo work ahead of me but these may help with some answers.
Only problem i see with rasing the dual rudder system is that the where the shaft goes in sits underneath the boat so i would have to shim the assembly out?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 AM
w3bby

Don't recognise the hull [] It was obviously designed for sub surface drive but you could build up the bottom inside and grind off the bump on the keel and go with surface drive. Or as you state you could mount the strut further off the transom.

You are probably going to need longer stringers by the looks of it, your engine will probably end up way too far back to get a good CG as it is. Remove the existing ones and replace with new. The bulkhead will need to go as well.

Post in the gas forum and you will get more response.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM
ryeguy247

hey im going to post in the other forum but i was wondering how high i should have the shaft if i move it up to exit out the rear. should it be just above the peak of the v?