Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How old is this boat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How old is this boat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Kevinmham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How old is this boat?

Hi there. A fellow gave this boat to me today. It was given to him in the past, but he didn't want to do anything with it. He figured that I would be able to adapt it to be radio controlled. Anyone know anything about it? It appears to be a free run type. The little light appanently works, and it has the motor, prop shaft, prop, and rudder, but I think it is missing part of the rudder tiller. I planned on retrofitting a little motor and some rc equipment and make it be radio controlled. It's kind of a cool little boat, so any info on it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42145.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1879480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34538.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1879481  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: How old is this boat?

Way back, there were plenty of small manufacturers producing pond toys, back when paddling pools were more common. It could also have been built from a magazine plan
You need to know what it weighs as is, and what it can carry. What size is it? Is that battery a C or a D? For the weight of a pair of D cells and the motor currently in there you could install a radio, mini steering servo, ESC and a modern motor and a suitable pack of rechargeable batteries, with the possibility of providing a waterpoof hatch. It would probably go rather better than it did originally, and would need the waterproofing because it will be used in tougher conditions than was originally intended. It might need a new rudder as well, since the original was intended as a steering trim rather than as an actual device to steer it with. Small ones can be bought, but making one isn't rocket science.
Age? From the motor, late '50s maybe '60s. Before that it would probably have been clockwork or a very different looking motor.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Kevinmham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How old is this boat?

Didn't think it would be that old! The build quality deffinetly looks mass production style. The battery shown is a D cell. It is 12 inches long and weighs 7.7 oz.. Our boat club has a small portable pond we take to vatious shows. I figure I would use the boat in it. I have a small Riva I built ( 14.5 inch, 8.05 oz.) and have some little rc stuff left over from that. Good point about the rudder. I will have to make something a bit tougher.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51033.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1879645