Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

i need help

Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 AM
The.Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help

what kind of plywood do i need to get the only stores around here is umm lowes and homedepot
Old 04-25-2014, 08:16 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about Michel's or Hobby Lobby? They usually have various thicknesses of plywood and so forth.
My local Lowe's and Home Depot don't carry what you need.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 AM
The.Dude

oh ya we have a hobby lobby what should i get though im building a 40" cargo ship
Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You will probably have to splice the keel due to lack of length but I'd start with 1/4 for that and 1/8 for any cross frames. Your best plywood for boats are 3ply 1/16 for skins, 5 ply in 1/8 and 9 or so in 1/4. I use birch ply with spruce for stringers and glue blocks when I build.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 AM
The.Dude

whats a stringer and a glue block could i get a pic please

Last edited by The.Dude; 04-25-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to use aircraft grade plywood in 1/8" for skin and frames and 1/4" for engine rails and transom on gasser boats,but with it's price increase and shipping costs I haven't been building for a while.I used to buy from Aircraft Spruce as you can get 24" x 48" where as the other companies mostly have 12" x 48" and sometimes you can't get too many parts on a piece that size and have waste.I like to get parts laid in really close to each other to avoid excess waste.I've found 1/8" and 1/4" birch 3 ply plywood at a local building center at a good price for a 4'x8' sheet.It's got a nice sanded surface on one side,but would have to be sealed really good.
They also have sheets of a white plywood that one sheets bends width wise and the other sheet bends length wise .This stuff can be bent in a circle.I've tried lauan plywood but it doesn't bend too easily before it starts cracking,plus it splinters on the edges.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:04 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I've found 1/8" and 1/4" birch 3 ply plywood at a local building center at a good price for a 4'x8' sheet.It's got a nice sanded surface on one side,but would have to be sealed really good.
Whatever it gets made of, it will need some form of protection/sealing to either protect it from the elements and/or look like you intended and keep it that way. This applies to everything from paper to sheet steel and all points between going via wood and fiberglass.
For a cargo boat that size, 1/8 for most of the skin, I assume that in your home improvement stores there is a section with small section wood strips - 1/4x1/4 makes good framing and joining reinforcement for corners. My first ones got their raw material from the panels of a dead kitchen door.