Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Long Range radio system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Long Range radio system

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 AM
cko1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Range radio system

Hello, if anyone is a fisherman here I am sure they have given a thought on building a bait r/c boat.
There is thing called "aquacat dinglehopper" and it gets a surprsingingly long control range on it past 1000 meters.
I wanted to build my own and i was wondering waht kind of radio system i would have to use to get such a long range.
Please help!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 AM
w3bby

Google the product and read the specs.... What is hard about that?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:26 AM
cko1992

I did that, and all it says is 3 Channel 40MHz FM RC Se
Old 07-16-2014, 01:51 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, the designer used old style hobby grade radio. If looking for long range in rough water, avoid 2.4GHz, and especially the low cost "park flyer" gear which only has a few dozen yards range. The earlier spec gear uses longer aerials which can mount higher and maintain line of sight contact over greater distances.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 AM
cko1992

What do you think I should use? thats compatible with boats? 75mhz? sorry i am new to r/c hobby and doesnt have a understanding of the radio system yet.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Check out your local legally permitted frequencies for air and surface. Avoid air. Quite rightly, flyboys get twitchy when somebody uses their allocated frequencies. As do the authorities when called in.
Over here, we have 27MHz for anybody (commonly 6 colour coded channels), 35 MHz reserved for the flyboys, and 40MHz for surface use. 7xMHz is not available here, but is used elsewhere. The new kid on the block is 2.4GHz.
Lower frequencies need longer aerials, which is usually better for long range in rough water as the aerial can be mounted vertically and is less liable to be lost in wave peaks and troughs. Whatever is holding the aerial vertical is more likely to be visible at distance.