Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drive shaft help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Drive shaft help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:57 PM
yoshi12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft help

So I have this rc boat and when I turn it on and try to move the motor doesn't seem to transfer the energy to drive shaft please help what should I do
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Try tightening the screw on the coupler. With a lack of information, I have to guess that there is a coupler between the motor and the shaft, and that the coupler ends, or one of them, has a grub screw fixing.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:52 PM
yoshi12

Yes there is a coupler there but it is as tight as can be. I think it comes lose every time the motor spins suggestions or could it be something else why doesn't it transfer the energy
Old 09-02-2014, 01:02 AM
mfr02

If it is a grub screw connector to the motor shaft, the motor shaft may need a small flat filing on it where the screw seats. If it comes loose, it is not "as tight as can be", but if it screws down onto a flat, it will stay put and grip.
Note - motors contain magnets , before any filing it is vital to seal the case by wrapping in masking tape or similar as iron filings inside the motor are a potential disaster.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 AM
yoshi12

Why a iron filling and it is as tight as can be it won't go any further to the right but since the motors shaft is 1.5 mm and the coupler is for 3mm. Do you think this can make lose once running
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 AM
mfr02

A coupler with a 3mm hole on a 1.5mm shaft is never going to work without a bushing of the right thickness to make up the difference. If you did manage to get a solid connection with a mismatch like that, the imbalance would create a big vibration due to the mass of the coupler being off center. Either the coupler would break or the motor or its mount would break loose.
Iron filings would come from filing the steel* of the shaft to get the flat. The material removed has to go somewhere, the most probable destination is inside the motor where the magnets live.
A motor with a 1.5mm shaft sounds very small, so there might be a choice of problem between the motor not having the power to turn the shaft beyond the coupler, and the coupler not being able to grip the motor shaft, just letting the motor spin.

*mostly iron
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 AM
yoshi12

The motors shaft is 1.5 mm thick the leg length is way bigger so what do you suggest I do so the motor can transfer the power to the drive shaft, the motor is not that small also
Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 PM
mfr02

Look at a Q-Tip (cotton bud). Once you get rid of the cotton wool on each end, you are left with a plastic tube, on the ones that I have seen, about 1.5mm inside diameter. Cut a length, slide it over the motor shaft, it should be a close sliding fit to the 3mm bore of the coupler. If it is a bit large, it can be shaved down with care. If you get it wrong, there is plenty for more tries on one bud, and another 99 or so in the box. Slide the coupler on, tighten the grub screw. It will now bite into the plastic and a good grip will be had between the shaft and plastic, and plastic and coupler.
Any other tubing with the right inside and outside diameters will do the job of making the motor shaft big enough to fit the coupler, but I would prefer plastic because it will be deformed by the screw and cause the required grip. A metal tube might not do that without a lot of extra work that might be over complicated for somebody without mechanical experience.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 AM
yoshi12

It's not working the Q tip does not fit on the motor shaft and it's to small to be a tight fit in the 3mm coupler
Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 AM
mfr02

Originally Posted by yoshi12
It's not working the Q tip does not fit on the motor shaft and it's to small to be a tight fit in the 3mm coupler
Then there is a choice of paths -
1 remeasure accurately the motor shaft diameter and the coupler bore and source some tubing to fit both, or -
2 having accurately measured the shaft, get a coupler to fit or -
3 slit the Q-tip tub along its length. It will fit the shaft, it will also grow a bit and be a closer fit in the coupler, allowing the screw to do its work. But only if it really is a 3mm coupler.
2 is the best solution. The shaft should be a close sliding fit in the coupler.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:21 PM
missnmoney

Yoshi , post pictures of the boat and the problem.

kinda hard to "view " the issue or diagnose the problem without seeing it.