Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

I have a Great Planes Wave Rocket about 12 years ago and the ESC has gone out in it. I was possibly looking at upgrading some things as it still has the AM radio system in it and still running the brushed motor. Most parts are discontinued as well as the boat itself. I did find a replacement ESC for it, but I was wondering if anyone knows what size or kind of motor they come with. There are no markings on the motor itself? Or anybody know where i can go to find out more about this boat and its components. I've tried everywhere.
Please help.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Measure the length of the motor can in mm. This will tell you the size of motor, after that, its a case of figuring out its current draw, but modern ESCs, for the same size, tend to be able to handle a lot more than those from 12 years ago. Just avoid the oriental eBay offerings with obviously silly current handling claims.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your boat from internet search is length 20.5" (520mm) beam 8.8"(190mm) solid drive shaft.

The motor looks to be a 540 brush motor (approx. 90watts) can diameter for these is 36mm.

Your easy and cheap option is a bit of bits from Hobbyking.

Radio 2.4G 2-6 channel (the 6 channel Turnigy TGY-iA6 AFHDS can handle up to 20 models on the one Transmitter(so all you require is a stack of receivers).

You can setup for each model and name them, also software reverse servos.

Brushless motor Trackstar 13.0T 3000kv(3s(11.1 volt)=33300rpm, 4s(14.8 volt)=44400rpm) 550 watts.
This motor will fit straight into your motor mount if the old motor is a 540 motor.

ESC use a car 60A with reverse one because the motor and ESC can take the two battery types.

Battery Turnigy 2650mah 3S 30C(250grams) about the same size and weight as the old NiCad battery.
Second battery Turnigy 2650mah 4S 40C (289grams).
This is a small boat so weight and size of your upgrade bits is important.
You have not the room to move bits around a lot, the battery is the biggest problem to get the balance of the boat right.
Prop start with the same prop but look at Hobby king's prop selection and may be get a few around the same size and pitch to test(the plastic ones are cheap).

Note:- ESC to BRUSHLESS MOTOR connection 3 wires the centre one to the centre one and cross over connect the other two and the motor will run the correct way(ye it sounds Irish but it works on all my boats and cars).
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canabus
Your boat from internet search is length 20.5" (520mm) beam 8.8"(190mm) solid drive shaft.

The motor looks to be a 540 brush motor (approx. 90watts) can diameter for these is 36mm.

Your easy and cheap option is a bit of bits from Hobbyking.

Radio 2.4G 2-6 channel (the 6 channel Turnigy TGY-iA6 AFHDS can handle up to 20 models on the one Transmitter(so all you require is a stack of receivers).

You can setup for each model and name them, also software reverse servos.

Brushless motor Trackstar 13.0T 3000kv(3s(11.1 volt)=33300rpm, 4s(14.8 volt)=44400rpm) 550 watts.
This motor will fit straight into your motor mount if the old motor is a 540 motor.

ESC use a car 60A with reverse one because the motor and ESC can take the two battery types.

Battery Turnigy 2650mah 3S 30C(250grams) about the same size and weight as the old NiCad battery.
Second battery Turnigy 2650mah 4S 40C (289grams).
This is a small boat so weight and size of your upgrade bits is important.
You have not the room to move bits around a lot, the battery is the biggest problem to get the balance of the boat right.
Prop start with the same prop but look at Hobby king's prop selection and may be get a few around the same size and pitch to test(the plastic ones are cheap).

Note:- ESC to BRUSHLESS MOTOR connection 3 wires the centre one to the centre one and cross over connect the other two and the motor will run the correct way(ye it sounds Irish but it works on all my boats and cars).
Thank you so much. That information is invaluable to me, I put it back on the shelf because I had no idea what to do. Time to dust it back off the shelf and get to work. Just in time to. The snow is gone and the lake is thawed.