Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beginner Needs Advice!!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Beginner Needs Advice!!

Old 03-17-2015, 03:37 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Beginner Needs Advice!!

Been in RC forever, build and fly turbine jets, cars , helicopters etc.. but for some reason have never been into boats, and I live on a huge still lake, pond!! Well this year I want to do something nice, but would like some input from the veterans..Keep in mind I am an exeperianced modeler.

Ive been looking into buying, building an RC GAS boat and I want something NICE, FAST and fun. Ive come down to 2 types of boats and would like to know what anybodies thoughts are. I would greatly appreciate it.

1, Aeromarine Thunderbolt or Chaos. I love watching the hydros go across the water, and this is what I really want, but is is true they basically only turn clockwise?? And you have to kind of throw it to get it going on the water??? Seems like it takes the fun out of hydros..

2, Proboat Rockstar 48 RTR. I like this boat also because its ready to go, and seems to do everything, But have been reading, for the money I can build something faster and better quality. 1K for 40 MPH doesn't appeal to me too much. I know I would buy it, and then drop another motor in there. Doesn't seem to cost effective.

Could someone help put and chime in here for me??? Thanks for any help
Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the boating side of RC. First off, you might want to post this in the gas section if you are looking for advice to that type of power plant. If you like to build, you might want to stay with a wood build up. The RTR boats are junk, my opinion, just more headache than they are worth. And yes, most hydros do need a gentle nudge to get them going. Prop torque is why boats tend to only want to turn right. If you desire to turn left, look into deep-v's.

Few other suggestions to look into:

1 http://www.zippkits.com/ Joe makes easy to build boats and has all the hardware that is required.

2: https://blazermarine.com/ Brian also has some wonderful boats and equipment. His boats are very fast when properly setup.

3: http://www.americanrcboats.com/index.html Zac (if he still owns the boats) also has great boats and products. Boats are fiberglass, no wood kits.

These are just a few gasser to look at. I'm certain there are plenty more to pick from.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:12 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks a million..Figured out I was posting in wrong place and did post in the right one..Thank you for the reply!!!