Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Solar powered, lightweight, RC boat help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Solar powered, lightweight, RC boat help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:16 PM
stevenette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solar powered, lightweight, RC boat help

Hello, been coming here for help for years, but finally registered.

I am trying to make an RC boat that is NOT fast. Every single thread I go to wants the fastest boat ever made, but I want one that is both light, and efficient.

1. Would you suggest a single hull, cat, or trimaran?
2. 2 small props, or 1 large prop. 2 would get rid of the need for a rudder I hope, but 1 large is more efficient from my research.
3. What kind of motor (Trolling etc. ) could be used for a small boat to go slow. There is no information I can find on a small motor to run off of solar power. Everything is jet, water cooled etc. I will have about 15-30W of power on the boat depending on how big I want it.
4. Would you suggest buying a frame online, or building it out of balsa/fiberglass?

The goal is to build a small lightweight solar powered boat I can take backpacking with me. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? Thanks!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:10 PM
crapshooter

ZippKits.com have a nice simple and slow moving Tug Boat cheap . rechargeable battery power is better than solar power .
Old 10-15-2017, 01:11 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The downside of solar is the big surface area needed for the array. For stability, that means either a cat or a fin with the heavy stuff in a tube at the bottom end. A while back, on one of the forums, there was a solar powered small boat that performed surprisingly well - making it slower would be a simple case of using less motor and a different prop to suit the motor characteristics.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:50 AM
stevenette

Thanks for the suggestions. The main point, however, is that I want to backpack with my boat for a couple of weeks at a time, so I really need solar power and rechargeable batteries hooked up to a charge controller. Anyway, still searching. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:34 PM
crapshooter

can you take an international power point convertor with you so you can charge up batteries anywhere in the world that runs 110 to 240 volt power.?