Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Speed Control?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What Speed Control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:32 PM
dwimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Speed Control?

I am scratch building an 8x18in Springer to be used solely as a rescue boat. It has a 12 volt 560 moter. I plan to use a pair of 6 volt 4.5amp lead acid batteries (in series) for power and ballast. I'm not sure what size, amp,esc I need for this. Your help would be appreciated. I would like keep it on the inexpensive side due to the very light usage. BEC would be a plus.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:34 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Hard to comment on a 560 motor, having never come across one.
If a 6 volt motor was used and the batteries in parallel for longer run time, the alleged 320A ESCs are remarkably cheap, There is a bit of pot luck involved with longevity.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywi...roducts/404964 costs a bit more, but seems to be gathering a fanbase.
Mtroniks Viper marine ESCs are available rated for 12 volts, cost a bit more in the first place, but generally work out cheaper since you don't have to write off the first one before buying the reliable one. Just a question of picking one from the range with enough current rating to give a safe headroom for the motor and prop you intend to use.
A nice thing about modern PWM ESCs is that any ESC that can handle a lot of motor can just as well handle a smaller one. Their downside is that their rated voltage must never be exceeded. They can die without even letting the smoke out.

Last edited by mfr02; 03-07-2021 at 02:46 AM.