Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

DPI Ski Nautique

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

DPI Ski Nautique

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 04:16 PM
JGalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPI Ski Nautique

Our 1989 Ski Natique is need of a battery. I think it uses a 7.2 Volt. Not sure of the proper capacity too. I would appreciate verification if the voltage is correct, the mAH and also which type of connector to use.
It has been sitting for many years and is ready to run.
Many thanks!
Old 07-07-2023, 06:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JGalt
Our 1989 Ski Natique is need of a battery. I think it uses a 7.2 Volt. Not sure of the proper capacity too. I would appreciate verification if the voltage is correct, the mAH and also which type of connector to use.
Many thanks!
I would contact Offshore Electrics. Since they specialize in electric powered boats, they would probably be able to help you out. Their address is
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/
Old 07-07-2023, 10:15 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by JGalt
Many thanks!
7.2V sounds like an old nicad or nickel metal. Batteries have come a long way in the last 20 years ago. You could easily upgrade to a current Lithium Poly 7.4V battery with double the capacity of your original battery for the same size/weight. Of course this would require a new charger as well and some study on proper care for lithium batteries but the performance upgrade would be well worth it. You would need to replace the connector on your ESC but that’s only basic soldering. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:01 PM
JGalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you @Hydro Junkie and @speedracernitrixie for responding! What, new technology?!!! I still start my car with an engine crank
Yeah, it's been awhile. We bought the boat when they were kids and now it is time to let the next generation enjoy it. Back then, our kids just loved the 'action' doll riding behind the boat. Oh, how they loved driving the boat around! Those were the days.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
birdo

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Good to hear you still haave your boat! I have a DPI Ski Nautique, new in the Box. I plan to build it eventually.

You can go with a NiMH battery. Since you're running the stock Electronics I wouldn't go with anything LiPo. They usually don't hold up well to the longer runtimes and higher voltages.

I'm guessing you ran this thing with maybe a 1300-1700mah battery back in the day. You can get 5000+mah batteries, but I would just go with something like this.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../DYNB2070.html

It has the old Tamiya battery connectors. you can get cheap wall plug chargers for them.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:45 PM
birdo

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Wall style charger:
NiMH Wall charger NiMH Wall charger