Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Shoey949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Mount

I have a mildly modified electric Kyosho viper, however I have quite a large problem. The plastic motor mounts in the hull stripped out. Is there any way of fixing this w/o buying a new hull.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Tachikaze

Default RE: Engine Mount

Having not seen the interior of this boat I am just kind of shooting in the dark here.
If your brackets are still attached to the hull of the boat and it is the mounts between the motors and the brackets that hold the motors, then this may be easier to deal with than the loss of the brackets where they attach to the boat.
I suspect that the screw passes through the motor mount and into the motor cannister ( correct?), if this is teh case then you would like to remain with the diameter and pitch of the screw that matches the motor casing. This would suggest drilling out the hole in the bracket that is striped and placeing a small metal collar( think brass servo screw sleeve) into the hole and placing a washer between the screw head and the bracket and screw into the motor.
The other option would be to glue a new piece of plastic to the bracket on the side away from the motor. Fill the hole that stripped out with plastic model filler and lightly cover with glue. Let dry. Then retap your hole. This means that the new screw hole will pass through a new piece of plastic plus the platic model filler.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Shoey949

Yes it has the the braket were one end screws into the motor and the other to the hull. The hull is plastic and thats were it stripped out. So the plastic filler and tapping sound work. Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 12:10 AM
pro27

If possible, go with a thicker plastic for the fix.
One thing to keep in mind is the coupler and shaft alignment. Depending on the type of motor/shaft coupler used, you may introduce a bit of binding in the driveline. This is bad[X(]

If this does happen, one way to fix the alignment is to elongate the hole in the bracket that is screwed to the motor ( on the side where you modified the mount). This way, you may be able to twist the motor slightly on it's mount to bring it back into alignment.