Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

OK, I'm starting from ground zero

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

OK, I'm starting from ground zero

Old 04-23-2004, 03:27 PM
airyzonie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, I'm starting from ground zero

I have no basic knowledge of RC boats but there are a couple of small ponds in my neighborhood and I thought it would be pretty cool to float a sail boat around there.

My first and most basic question has to do with the radio. Are there frequencies set aside particularly for boats? Is this frequency range shared with cars? Is it AM or FM? I have a park flyer (electric plane) with a range of about 2500 feet. I'm guessing that this is not necessary or desirable for small boats. Is there a mandated range limitation?

I'm guessing that I can't get away with using a plane transmitter for a boat. That being said, who would enforce that? The FCC or just good sense?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OK, I'm starting from ground zero

Boats should be operated on 75 mHz which is the ground frequency. Go to Chappral & Hayden on a Sunday and you will see a lot of 36/600 sailboats plus some other types, and you can meet a nice bunch of sailors who can answer all your questions. Dennis DuProis is into all types of boats and makes sails for them as well.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:54 PM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

airyzonie
Re your Q "Who would enforce this?" #1 and most obvious is FCC. #2 and more painful would be the guy whose plane you trash!!! Best to get the proper radio system.
Gordy
Old 04-25-2004, 08:29 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

The answers to your questions were a little vague , so I'll try and add a little more detail .
Ground frequencies are both 75 and 27 ( and 50 if you has a Ham'ers license to operate )
All of the spectrums are acceptable , as long as they are either 27 or 75 Mhz freq's ( meaning - AM - FM - PCM )
Also , cars and boats share the same freqs .. called ground freqs and air is seperated ( for quite obvious reasons , although it would have been nice to seperate all three with each having their own freq ... )
Next , if you have a park flyer and radio gear that gives you 2500 feet , that is 1000 feet more than manufacturers specs ( but , this depends a LOT on what kind , and how much interefernce there is around you , along with typical ground noise )
A radio is maxxed out at 750 mw of power no matter which radio , what freq , or channel you run .
If you are going to a park where others run , it would be a VERY good idea to first find out what channels and what freqs they usually run on so that you do not match up the same .
Although the FCC is NOT out and about , at every local pond , air field and race track ( for cars and trucks ) , they would be the ones to issue you a fine , but first , and foremost , it is more of a common courtesy thing about running the correct freq ( and the law also ... )
Since you run park flyers , you should understand this .... Think if some mo-jo went and was running his Traxxas on 72 Mhz and then , even the same channel , and was within an area that would affect the way your plane handled ... hmmmm .. bad news , huh ?
So ... be considerate of your fellow RC'ers and run the right freq(s) and also check with the others that are near you for possibility of same channel .