Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Building A Boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Saswoi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building A Boat

Can anyone tell me if I need to put chine's on the bottom of a boat I'm building ? Its made out of mahogany and fiberglass,its 51" lond 15.5" beam. Olso what kind of motor. this is a recreation boat of a deep v design.

Any information is great thanks
Up in the great white north Canada
Old 09-21-2004, 07:54 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Building A Boat

Pends on what you plan on doing with it and what/how deep of a vee ?
More than likely , yes , you will need chines added .... ( how many , and what length will depend alot on the hulls design and how fast and stable you are wanting to run )
What motor ? If you could let us know a bit more on what you plan on doing , we could be of better help . you could run any kind of gasser from any weedeater motor ( including Homies ) to a Zenoah ( which is a MUCH faster engine ) to a QD ( which is VERY expensive )
Also depends on clutched motor or not as to whether or not to go a nitro or a gasser .
Also , nitro's are more readily available in outboard versions whereas the gasser versions are a bit harder to find .
Now , is this going to be inboard or outboard ?
Did you set any stringers yet ? If yes , and if they are set at 4 inches , then your kinda stuck to a nitro , but if you set them at 5 or more , then either one will do ( inboard engines that is )
I , personally would suggest you first go with a cheapo weedeater engine till you are sure that the hull is built properly as to be able to handle speed .... this way , you will still have fun and then , if the boat can handle it , you can upgrade to maybe a Zenoah , or a QD ( if you have the monies that is
Old 09-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Saswoi

Thanks for the info.
I bought this boat at a garage sale.It has the first coat of resin and fiberglass on it .It is a very deep v, I don't know where to measure the angel from. The stringers are 6.5 inches apart, inboard motor, subsurface drive. I was told not to put a weedeater motor in is because they are not balanced and will shake the boat apart. I plan on not racing but plan on running lots as I'm just starting out in this hobby. Any problems with cooling an air cooled motor ?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Ok ,
Who ever told you that about NOT putting a weedeater motor in there obviously does NOT know what they are talking about .
That is why there is rubber isolators on the motor mounts .... and besides ... ANY two stroker will NOT be balanced , since there is a VERY low RPM range where they ARE balanced ...

And , as far as air cooled ... yes , that is perfectly acceptable and is very widely used ... ( weedeater motors )
now , since you have told me that there is some hardware , it is also important about what size flex cable you have installed . If its a 1/4 drive , then your good to go with a weedeater , a Zenoah or a QD and some of the larger nitros ...
Any chance you might post a pic or two of the hull ?
You do this by clicking on the little "clickable" down to the left ( as in the picture ) that say
CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68728.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	175748  
Old 09-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Saswoi

Its great to get such honest answers from you, thanks. I will be posting some pictures of this hull so I can get some input from different sources. I am a cabenet maker so finishing the hull is going to be exciting. The inside of the boat is sealed with resin and all the stringers and joints are re-enforced with fiberglass mesh. The stern has a aluminum plate where the rudder bolts onto. I have to apply heavy fiberglass mesh to the outside of the stern. Then I can start to finish the hull, with some reduced resin to get a smooth finish. Once that is done I can make up some chines for the bottom, This is were I need some help. The guy I bought this boat from told me is should run fine with out them but, I'm not so sure. With the posting of the pictures next week I will draw some lines in black felt marker to show where I think they go, I incouage all feed back.

As for the drive terrain I was thinking about a good weedeater motor in the 40cc range. To much power I don't know. There is a tube that goes through the bottom of the boat, I think its a standard size. The stringers are 6.5' apart so there is lots of room in this boat. The center of gravity can be ajusted with different motor mounts. The hardware I haven't got yet but the guy I bought the boat from has all the stuff I need. As this is my first boat I would like in to be stable and fast so I will take my time and ask lots of question.

Thanks for your time, I will get the pictures posted as fast as I can. This guy I bought this boat from has 6 other hulls for sale. Some are deep v some are cracker box, all are mahogany anf fiberglasssize is 36"-60"