Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

need to make a decision

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

need to make a decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 09:05 PM
stud_man69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to make a decision

ok, I'm a total newbie to boats ive done nitro cars and trucks and now I want to do gas boats. Im gonna first just buy a Hull then buy piece by piece and build it. its between the Prather Offshore deep vee .46, which looks the easiest to build then the Enforcer sport, or the gator made by the same company as the sport. For a newbie which would be the easiest?? I want something to work on in the winter. Thanks Justin
Old 09-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Dizzy Dingo

Default RE: need to make a decision

I am new to boats too but thinking of a similar project.

I am building the hull myself and using a 32cc line trimmer engine. So it's a total custom, but New england winters are long

Prather makes good products from what I have seen when buying "Bits" for my project. I am sure they are solid hulls as well!

Good luck with it and post as you go!

Cheers

DD
Old 09-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Save your pennies then try to buy as much as you can at once. It'll drive you crazy waiting to get enough money together or motivate you to get the additional hardware later. Been Der, dun dat. I'm waiting for some parts now and Winter is coming up too quickly as it is, a balmy 43 degrees this morning with frost dreeze advisories north of me.
I've done Winter projects and go stir-crazy waiting for the ponds to thaw.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Dizzy Dingo

LOL!

I go crazy in the winter anyway but sound advice! I am slowly building a parts list and waiting for the right time to buy them all. I think about the boat, dream about the boat, call out BOAT when I am trying to gt my wifes attention.

Cheers

DD
Old 09-30-2004, 12:52 PM
jer291113

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Save your pennies then try to buy as much as you can at once. It'll drive you crazy waiting to get enough money together or motivate you to get the additional hardware later. Been Der, dun dat. I'm waiting for some parts now and Winter is coming up too quickly as it is, a balmy 43 degrees this morning with frost dreeze advisories north of me.
I've done Winter projects and go stir-crazy waiting for the ponds to thaw.

Don, I don't understand - what's the difference between "Save your pennies..." and "...waiting to get enough money..." aren't they the same.
I planning on doing the same thing though, not because of winter approaching (I live in sunny(hurricane! haha!) FL) but because of limited funds.

MarineSpecialties has an excellent starter list of items needed to build a boat from scratch on their website!

If I had the funds I would probably buy a kit from WareHouse Hobbies which would save you $300 off of their RTR prices not including radio. Email Tony and he'll send you info!

Jer29_11_13
Old 09-30-2004, 02:20 PM
stud_man69

srry to you all but which hull is better for a first??
Old 09-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Myself, I'd go with one of the WHH hulls. They're laid up a little heavier to take a beating. Most Prather hulls are epoxy 'glas and not gel-coated so there is a lot of filling of pinholes to be done.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:33 PM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

[8D]I just bought a nice 48" deep vee hull from forabuck on ebay, he has some awsome custome painted hulls for sale at half the price of others charge for a plain wht hull. I got a metallic green with yellow splashes on it, I am doing some research on gas engines and it looks like I will most likely go with a Zenoah g260pum. then get some assorted hardware over the winter, such as the bonzi single rudder surface drive set up. I have the proboat shockwave 36 to keep me frustrated[:@] oh I mean busy till winter comes and I work on the new gas boat. can someone tell me how to ad a pic in here please Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 09-30-2004, 11:14 PM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

trying to ad pics of my new boat and drive I am considering Butch in Niagara Falls
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83532.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	178378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81603.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	178379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84592.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	178380  
Old 10-01-2004, 03:55 PM
bconway

I have an Enforcer Sport/Zenoah motor and very pleased with it. I once was not paying attention and ran it up on shore after hitting in-water tree roots and it survived with only cracked gelcoat on the bottom. Fly's very well!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:46 PM
stud_man69

my thing is, is there anything more done to the prather then to the gator or enforcer, when you buy them.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:08 PM
stud_man69

It doesnt matter anymore cuz I spent that money on $145 boots for my BDU uniform. Thanks Though Justin