Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

kill switch ?

Old 11-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Rob Douglas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kill switch ?

hello all

Being new to boats i've got alot of questions, this one is about a kill switch. Should I use a kill switch on the engine or just back out the idle screw and use pushing the trigger out (reverse) to kill the engine? If using a kill switch is feasible then how do you wire it? I have a close up pic of my engine in my gallery. Is the tab on the coil what I would use? Running a wire from the tab to the switch then to the block to get the ground? I think I would feel safer using a kill switch.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: kill switch ?

My European buddies run them. Maybe you can holler over at [link=http://www.xtremercboats.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=2fe8a256ea3aca15605c493e46d485f0]Xtreme[/link] if this thread turns cold. Very cool guys.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Rob Douglas

Do you know if I was on the right track on how to hook it up? I think I will run one just to have a hard wired way to kill the engine. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

I do not know due to my running being done on a private lake. I only use a failsafe, but plan to build a kill switch for use this summer.

Hopefully someone else will jump in.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:55 AM
rckid2002

Use a kill switch, especially on a gas engine, my carb hung up (Shockwave) and that was the only safe way to stop it. Wire from hot side of coil to ground thru switch, switch will be off until you want to stop it.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:30 AM
Rob Douglas

rckid2002

There is a close up pic in my galley of the engine where you can see the coil. There is a tab comming out of the coil, is that where the switch would be wire from? It gets grounded to the engine case right?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Rob Douglas

OK, got it wired up. I use a micro toggle switch and mounted it in the red plastic cover on the back of the engine. Works great. I just like having peace of mind that I can shut it down with the flick of a switch.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You could add a second kill switch inside of the radio box and have a servo arm on the throttle servo hit against the switch to shut off the engine also. Adjust a momentary switch to when you give the trigger full reverse it would shut the engine down.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Rob Douglas

Actualy, I was thinking of backing the idle screw out, setting the trim to idle, and using reverse to close the butterfly and kill the engine if needed. I think that would be less work than rigging another switch and less to worry about also.