Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

keeping engine runing...need help please!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

keeping engine runing...need help please!

Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM
NightLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeping engine runing...need help please!

got a nitro hammer for my birthday few days ago and havnt been able to run it as i cant keep the engine running for at most 30's.

now its pretty tough to even start it.

heres what ive tried so far.

have the needle at the recommend 2-2-1/2 turns from closed.

new #8 OS glow plug.

fully charged glow starter.

carb is opened 1/8 as directed.

20% fuel (recommended from the store)

my question is what does the "idle stop screw" do and if its adjusted wrongly from the factory will it effect starting the engine?

same goes for the "idle mixture screw"

when i attach the glow starter and prime the engine and then pull the starter it wants to turn over and gives a little "brrr" sound and then dies...every once in a while it does start i'll leave it alone and it dies usually w/i 5-10's.

any idea on what im doing wrong?

Thanks

Chad
Old 02-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: keeping engine runing...need help please!

The people that write the owners manuals and assemble the boats haven't got a clue to where they are headed to so they give you a general starting point. Weather and altitude among other factors decide where the settings must be at on your boat. Try opening the high-speed needle a little more until it fires up and runs right. You'll want it on the rich side until the motor breaks in, you should see some oil smoke coming out of the pipe or a little unburned fuel exiting.
The idle set screw on most boats generally isn't needed except that a lot of times it holds the barrel from sliding out. You want it set so that the carb will fully close, the throttle trim can do the rest.