Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

fail safe

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:37 PM
electricstorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fail safe

ok, I just got a ram servo fail safe mark 2. what would be the best way to waterproof it? one idea I had would be to put it in a large party balloon with the wires coming out, zip tie the end shut, and then silicone it. what do you think, will it work?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:56 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: fail safe

Not being familiar with your failsafe I don't know it's size or what it looks like. If it doesn't have a heatsink, it should work okay in a baloon. If there's no adjustments on it, dip it in the goop used to insulate tool handles?
- 'Doc
Old 04-24-2005, 08:37 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

I have one of the RAM units, don't know if it's a "mark 2" or not. When first installed, had issues with it. Due to this, I contacted RAM directly and he worked with me on it. Sent the unit back, no problems found. He sent me a brand new unit, but still had issues. With this, he gave me the gent who designed the unit. After discussions with the designer, the issue was that with the use of a 5 cell rx battery and the Futaba FM radio. Bottom line, contact RAM directly if you have questions on what to do with it.

But to help out, set the controls where you need it and put it in a balloon. Corrosion-x and any other sealer out there should do the job. CRC also makes a nice spray, believe it's the 242. Lowes/Home Depot carry the CRC spray. Don't know if I would put the rubber coating on it since that may void the warranty - if there is one still on the unit. If you, put a dap of silicon on the pots before dipping. After the rubber dries, you can remove the rubber than the silicon and get to the pots.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:45 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

get yourself some parafin wax ( cheap - use the wax that is used to seal a new toilet bowl to your floor .. commonly called a WAX RING . Very pliable and water-proof AND cheap too ! ! ! . Also , can be easily removed when needed and is NOT conductive either . ( WAX RING costs aprox $3.00 and you'd have enough to cover aprox 30 of the RAMS ... )
BTW ... I , myself use the RAM and have yet to have ANY problems with them .
Old 04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
electricstorm

with the pots, how much of a turn does it take for a seconds delay or movment of the servo? and do I need to protect it from vibration?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:23 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Personally , I have mine set to ZERO delay ..... NO GLITCH's allowed . Vibration ??? Normal vibration is fine . Never had any faults with mine and they are all within 10 inches of the engine ( but my engines also have engine vibration dampers on the mounts also )
Old 04-25-2005, 09:30 PM
electricstorm

well, the boat I'm putting it in I just got. it is a miss bud 1/12. I am busy modding it right now, but I got the failsafe installed and tested it out. works flawlessly. I hope to get the boat engine broke in, but I need to get some brake in fuel first.