Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Calling OB NUT

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:16 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling OB NUT

To OBNut - I made my way over to the RCFLIX Site and saw you had posted a picture of a
Red - Dumas, Drag'N'Fly - Is this your boat and is it the .60 size or is it the .40 size.
I have inherited My dads .60 Size 1/8 scale Drag"n"Fly and they do not make it anymore.
It is in Prestine Condition and I might refit it with running hardware and engine but would like to know more about it.
A friend of mine calls it the "Submarine' due to it's past known characteristics of diving under the water. if it hits a wave.
Love to see more pics of it and If anyone else has photos or happenings to talk about with this boat, Please let me know.

Jeff
Old 05-30-2005, 04:24 PM
ob nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Calling OB NUT

Nope, that's not mine.. Do believe it's a 60 size Dragon Fly.. I'll advise the owner you are looking to chat with him...

Mark...
Old 05-30-2005, 04:46 PM
jw637362

Sorry, Saw your name under the photo of it and just figured it was yours,
Thanks though. Hope to talk with him.

Jeff
Old 05-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That was Wade Swatzell's boat, he's had that for a long time and yes, it is a .60 version. Mark may still have a video of it running from one of the previous Fun Run's. Wade's boat actually runs heavy on the tail, he doesn't have it set up with a lifting prop on it.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:35 PM
wswatz

Jeff, I am the owner of the red drag-n-fly 60. I have up graded it to a speed master engine mount, & flex cable. It is a fun fast boat. Not exactly as fast as some of the 1/8 scale racing today, but I have had it on radar at 50mph, & I am confident I could make it go faster. I built it about 3yrs ago, when I really didn't know much about how to set them up, & had set it up to the original instructions with hard mounts, & a solid shaft. The problem I had with that is I did not have the shaft supported like I should have, & the rod whipped so much that it destroyed the stuffing tube. By then I had learned about how to setup a boat to today’s standards, so that is when I made the retrofit. It has a k&b 11cc with a Mac quiet pipe. The only time I submarined it was when I was running in a lake cove, & a full size boat went by. It jumped the 1st wake wave, & speared into the next. I have the steering throws really far, & I can literally turn 180's on the prop. It is really fun to drive, but can be a handful the way I have it setup.

Wade
Old 05-30-2005, 09:26 PM
jw637362

Wade, Thanks for the reply - Saw your red .60 Drag'n'fly and melted, Awesome!
I did not think anyone was running that boat anymore - My dad built his when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I am 32 now. He ran it for about a month and that was it.
He had it repainted and it has sat in dry dock since.
He had also fitted it with rigid shafts and solid mounts as requested. That will be my first changeout is the mount! I was going through some stuff of his and found two engines he used.
A .60 OS airplane engine made into boat engine and then My surprise was finding his old OPS .60 inboard engine. It had some problems but I found a guy in Norway that had new parts for it and I just got them in the mail last week.
I am putting it in an 1/8 scale Atlas Van Lines I am building now. But would like to set up the Drag'N'Fly again and watch it run.
I unfortunatley never saw him run it on the water and it is just hanging in my closet wasting away.

Love to see more pictures of yours or Videos if you have them. Especially the interior work on fitting the engine and radio gear, Closeups as well, I will post a picture of his/Mine tomorrow. Very nice looking boat. Might put a OPS.67 in it???

Jeff
Old 05-31-2005, 05:43 AM
ob nut

Wade, glad ya made it..

Jeff, just uploaded a AVI file on RCFLIX of the boat running. Title is Wade's Drag'N'Fly... It's listed under my user name - ob nut...
Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 AM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: jw637362

Sorry, Saw your name under the photo of it and just figured it was yours,
Thanks though. Hope to talk with him.

Jeff
Jeff, no biggie.. I took the pic and posted it.. Guess you could say the pic is mine, but the boat is not
Old 05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
wswatz

I'll take some pics of the radio box, & how I have the it setup. I can't say it is setup the best way, just how i did it.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:16 PM
jw637362

Thanks, I appreciate it. Just want some reference to it. I saw the Video OBNUT uploaded of the Drag'n'fly. Pretty cool, It definatley turns really sharp and it seems to clip along pretty well for "not being setup right". Seems OK to me!

Jeff
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
wswatz

I have had it on Radar at 50mph, that is plenty fast for me & that boat. I'm sure I could make it go faster, but I realy have no desire to, it is fun the way it is now.
I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet, I'll try to do that this weekend.

Wade