Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Break in on stand?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Break in on stand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:05 PM
fredpb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in on stand?

I just got an Aquacraft Bristol Bay. I want to form my batteries and break in the motor. Can I run it slow in the stand?
Old 02-26-2006, 10:27 PM
wave waker

Default RE: Break in on stand?

honestly, i'll do it in the water, more fun,,,but for technical advice try to post it under electric boat forum u might get some info...enjoy the break-in..
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try taking the motor out and run it in a glass of water connected to a single cell battery aa will do trust me it works i did this with my plane motors the water does not harm the motor just let it run the cell flat and its done .
Old 03-02-2006, 04:53 PM
CadillacDTS2001

your dont need to break in the motor un less you are racing cuz there is such a small diffrence in the speed,
but if i rember rite the bistrol bay has a stock motor and it is WAY over powerd ,and it exceeds the hull speed by like a million mph (play on word) so i woundnt bother with it
Old 03-03-2006, 04:13 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you wont notice a diff in speed but you will notice a diff in the life of the motor trust me it removes a lot of crap from the brushes on the motor check out the glass after .the motor will run smooth as silk after youve run it in and last twice as long too!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
RCOZZY

This is true...it was an old car racers trick. In fact Reedy used to advertise their motors as "Water Dipped". What it does is something akin to wet sanding the commutator. Note that if you do this with a bearing motor you'll need to get some water displacer and oil into the bearings immediatley afterward or they'll rust and become really lousey bushings! To be honest though you'll probably want to replace the motor before it wears out anyway with a geared one. That boat is very overpowered and to run at scale speed you'll be generating all kinds of heat from the ESC. And converting Mah into heat ain't what we want to do. I'd look at a MACK Products 1885-G for around 40 clams.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
brusyev

Originally Posted by RCOZZY
This is true...it was an old car racers trick. In fact Reedy used to advertise their motors as "Water Dipped". What it does is something akin to wet sanding the commutator. Note that if you do this with a bearing motor you'll need to get some water displacer and oil into the bearings immediatley afterward or they'll rust and become really lousey bushings! To be honest though you'll probably want to replace the motor before it wears out anyway with a geared one. That boat is very overpowered and to run at scale speed you'll be generating all kinds of heat from the ESC. And converting Mah into heat ain't what we want to do. I'd look at a MACK Products 1885-G for around 40 clams.
Will I have to do any hull mods to accommodate 1885-g or it should be simple plug and play? What other mods to you sugest to keep the ecs/motor from overheating? Will this boat take a 5000mah 7.2v battery?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't know if you noticed or not but this thread is 8 years old. You may want to check for more info in the electrics forum