Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Which motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:44 PM
yellowfishdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which motor?

After a visit to vac-u-boat's website, I decided to buy the crackerbox kit and all the hardware rather than try and build my first boat. I am ordering from the website tomorrow. I have just a couple of newbee type questions about motor's and ESC and batteries

1. I am looking at stock 540 motors. What does the number of "Turns" mean when refering to a motor? and how does that relate to performance?
2. When choosing an ESC, how do I make sure it is compatible with the motor?
3. What do I look for when trying to select batteries for the above?

Thanks, any input is appreciated, Jeff
Old 03-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which motor?

1. Motor Turns - Motor turns refers to how many times the wire(s) are wrapped around the armature web. The more turns the motor has, the slower it will go. On the other hand, less turns the motor has the faster it is but the quicker it will drain your batteries.

2. Motor Wind (Single, Dbl, Tri, Quad, Quint) - Motor Wind (Single, Dbl, Tri, Quad, Quint);
Winding refers to how many wires are used to wrap around the armature web. A single wire wrapped around the web will increase the Torque curve through the whole RPM range of the motor. Double wires wind will also increase the torque curve but will allow for greater RPM's. Triple wires have large RPM ratings while having diluted torque. Quad and quint wires are built for extremely high RPM's.

3. NiCD or NiMH - NiCD stand Nickel-Cadmium and NiMH stands for Nickel Metal Hydride. NiCD will have a temporary to permanent memory of it's electrical cycling whereas NiMH will have no real memory of the cycling. However, It has been my experience that NiMH batteries will have a slight memory to where it was discharged to if done repeatedly. Batteries should never get very hot while charging or discharging. If it does happen to a NiCD battery, it will have less residual effects then as if it happened to a NiMH battery. NiMH under extreme daily heat of charging or discharging will create gas bubbles within the cell thus ruining performance. Both NiCD and NiMH are readily available with many MaH ratings although most NiMH batteries will have the higher performance ratings (MaH, Volts, Run times).

4. Battery MaH and Voltage - MaH means milli amp hours. The more the battery is rated for, the more run time you will receive. The more volts each cell has the more power will be released. So a battery with 1.3 volts and 3300MaH will last longer with more power then a battery with 1.1 volts and 1000MaH.

5. ESC vs. MSC - An ESC stands for Electronic Speed Control and MSC stands for Mechanical Speed Control. Overall a ESC is more efficient then a MSC. MSC's are heavy in R/C standards as well as having slow response and high power drain. Also, MSC are not proportional as opposed to an ESC. An ESC will eliminate most problems associated with a MSC (Such as resistor replacing, Melting, Fusing, etc).

6. BEC - BEC Stands for Battery Eliminating Circuitry. This eliminates extra on-board batteries to power the servo(s) and ESC.
Hope this helps