Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What boat to get?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What boat to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:20 AM
kuplo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What boat to get?

Heres my criteria,

I have a swimming pool so obviously I'd like to be able to putt around in the pool and have some fun maybe trying to tow things etc, we also have access to a lake about 45 minutes away (so obviously I'll be playing with it much more in the pool then the lake, but will still be going to the lake when the mood strikes me), so I'm kind of torn as to wether to get a sail boat of some sort, or a slower moving tug boat, or maybe a high speed boat.

I'd like to get something that has to be built (dont really care for the boats like the traxxas models), but Im not the greatest builder in that I can't build a completely wooden boat model from scratch. My screwdriver skills are wonderfull though my glue skills have a lot to be desired.

Can people recommend some sail boats, tug boats, battleships perhaps, as well as some high speed models.

I think I prefer electric over nitro only because I have a whole lot more fun with my electric R/C's then I do with my traxxas nitro TMaxx. Tuning to me is a bore. Now Im not looking to be the fastest boat on the water and sometimes I just enjoy a lazy boat ride (perhaps sailboat would fit this), but I also like to get up and move from time to time.

I've thought about getting some sort of submarine but I only buy from local hobby shops (even if they have to order an item for me) but Im thinking that while a sub would be cool in my pool, if I put it out in the lake it would be rather pointless since I wouldnt really be able to see it all that well if at all.

Thanks,
Old 05-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: What boat to get?

For tug boats,
A lot of people have will go with the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMPJ8**&P=ML]AquaCraft Atlantic Harbor Tug Boat RTR [/link] or the [link=http://www.vac-u-boat.com/]Vac-u-Tug or Vac-u-Tow[/link]
Old 05-20-2006, 06:56 PM
straty

try the zig zag racer 2 or the reef racer 2 i know they are rtr but the are bothe self righting pretty water tight and have excellent handling
Old 05-20-2006, 11:16 PM
kuplo

I was looking at the reef racer a couple weeks or so ago when a person came into the shop to return one, because he wanted to use it in his pool but found that it was just too fast to use in his pool.

Im thinking seriously about a tug boat of some sort I think. I guess all RC products are just expensive but it got me today when I was looking at some kits on the web and realized that a bunch of them use a $3.00 motor, couple more dollars for electronics, and some molded plastic, all totalled about $20.00 to $30.00 at mfg cost and then turn around and sell it for $125.00+ Im definately in the wrong business I dont know why Im suprised really since I've got a Tmaxx, a couple plaes, and a heli, but I guess when I look at some of the boats I've seen lately I think Man, Im paying xxx.xx amount and I have to put it together. Im definately in the wrong business.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 AM
joe monohan

Dumas products has some nice wood kits

joe monohan
707 Specialties
Old 05-24-2006, 09:55 AM
kuplo

I think wood kits (no matter how detailed the instruction are) is a bit out of my league, I saw a beautifull wooden kit of a tug at my lhs but once I looked inside at all the wood in there I soon realized that I would probably be in over my head. Aluminum and plastic, screws and bolts, with a bit of glue and thats my level. Wood seems really difficult to me since there is a tremendous amount of gluing involved and gluing is not my strong point.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 AM
IWC

www.midwestproducts.com