Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
rcdsurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Cananzi I have attached a fin template I developed over a couple of years for my surfboards, scaled down for RC with foiling guides on it for you. I will be using this on my board for the side fins at least.

Gives you something to have a look at anyway, change it to what will suit for your needs etc.

Cheers,
Rob

Oh by the way the tab at the bottom is there so you can hold it whilst foiling etc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ge95749.pdf (382.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
kitekook

Cananzi

That is one beautiful wave...uuuummmm

For the camera I used a skateboard helmet, bolted down some alum, just bolt the camera(s) in, and your a go. Its how all my photos are taken. I do feel like a Martian wearing the darn thing, but having photos is real nice. I have given up with the video...just too bouncy on top of my head...I got spoiled with that video PK did.

will post some from todays session when I get home..

Surfcurlz...Koa was in a beaut! I'd like to thank my sponsors MONEY shot, if only the focus was sharp.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Koa's Shot was only the beginning. It was his first go out ...

I Too can't Wait to sea better focused Video & Pics From Koa / Alex & Pete. They Have Pro Foto Access.
They'll be riding some of my Custom Shaped Boards Next !

I'm Stoked, That A Few Of The Pro Surfer's Are into what we all Do.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
kitekook

Alert! Alert! Alert!

Silver Surfer Sighting

Thursday April 12,2012 La Jolla, California.

...A beautiful sun soaked Spring day here at a Southern California beach was disrupted quite suddenly as a bright flash of light blinded all who watched. According to reports, the bright light attracted everyone's attention as it streaked across the face of countless waves. Carving turns so sweet that it defied imagination...elderly ladies had to be rescued by lifeguards as they were so love struck they had to meet the mystery man, countless called 'the Silver Surfer", and had ventured into the waist to head high surf. Lifeguards found them dazed and confused as 'Silver' disappeared as fast as he appeared. Luckily there were no fatalities just some broken hearts.

...Local sports photographer, KiteAce, covering rising Surf star Miss Tina Barrels, was on the scene and got this exclusive photo of our mystery man.
Just when you thought you had seen it all folks...

Silver Surfer creates quite the stir on sunny Southern California beach.

...you see Cananzi...wear a helmet cam and you never know who you might photograph[8D]
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Hughengland

Silver Surfer is living on Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68341.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1749642  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Hughengland

Hugh reporting on Vee bottom: Good 4-6ft north swell, light offshore winds.
Cut the thruster side fins down to 1/2 depth, tested Thursday and surfer did not trip towards outside rail/fins
- 100% better with shorter thruster side fins.
As soon as I got home I glassed on 2 more fins - now have 4 short quad fins and single turning skeg
- 5 fins seem way too much...............we will see tomorrow expecting perfect waves, meeting John & Jock at Honoulua Bay for a early morning session - hopefully will get videos using John's Sony.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 AM
YPC

Hugh - why the extra skegs if its working well ?

Re
Dom
Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 AM
trippergreenfeet

Kitekook, great white light and Silver Surfer story mate, in the other forums Iam a member of Silver Surfer is my avatar

Igot my NQD in the water today, very happy, no leaks but Ihave weight adjustment to do, CG was too far back and self righted every time fast. Ran it on 2S lipo (quick) and 7.2v nimh (not quick enough) and the fin is too big, need to cut it down in size. Motor and speedie ran cool, Iwas right about the heat sink shorting out the fets, not frying them but just screwing with the pulse. One downer was the RXlost it's bind and wouldn't re-bind at all so Ihad to improvise and use my DX7.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 AM
kitekook

Good Morning, here are some photos from yesterdays sessions. (I only wore the helmet cam for the first two batteries.)

Tina was happy to be back in the Surf, new board still has issues, but not so bad we can't get into it again. I am still playing with the lead placement...COG still too far back...pink duct tape until we get it right.

We got a late start, the cooling fin mods took longer than expected. Batteries are charging as I write...so this is not a probloma today

The helmet cam is a pain to wear...but it sure is nice to have photos at the end of the day. I have been using a Canon Powershot G10 running CHDK.(Firmware Hack) mounted to a skateboard helmet. CHDK expands what your Canon camera can do...I am running a script that takes a photo every 1/2 second until the battery dies or the card fills up. So I had 500 photos...got 40 or so keepers off the two battery session. If you have a Canon, check out CHDK wiki see if they (the super brains out there in Internet land) have 'ported' your model...Canon not very happy about this...and not helpful at all!

There was nice faces all around, problem was they would just close out...

Here the reef showing some of her teeth...FISHI lol at the 'teeth' on my reef...

All in all, a pleasant day here...not bad for the 'poor to fair' conditions being reported...

There's my beep, batteries are done!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Saildoggie

Dang Kite, you are RC Surf ANIMAL!
For a guy that just picked this up, very impressive!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
YPC

NIIIIIICE KITE - great pics - Love the AIR shots !!!!!!!.........................................

Well - what does one do whilst waiting for HK to deliver 'another' ESC ? (Hopefully fast...............) ......................You guest it - that's right- "BUILD ANOTHER BOARD........................

I must say - this is getting easier - this board took me about 2 hours to shape and glass a single layer of cloth each side. Will add another layer both sides once the overlays are smoothed out.

One definite issue I had with my board was that I lost the AFT rocker in the changes - so the FRONT rocker was not enough - ploughed on the face quite often when trying to get vertically down in the hollow

New board specs

710 X 190 x 35 = 1.458kg to self right

This new board - I have compensated for the lack of AFT rocker by emphasizing the rocker in the nose ( nose is up 70mm)

I have brought the sharper dead-rise V more into the nose rocker and flowed a 6 degree V into the rest of the board. ( more of a consistent V through out the running surface)

Kept the hull rails quite tight ( small radius) no tail rocker.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57060.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1749754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12979.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1749755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46515.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1749756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47167.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1749757  
Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
kitekook

Hugh

I see...Silver is one very cool looking dude....no wonder the ladies were throwing themselves into the water.

Hey All!
Went for an early session at WindanSea...waist to head high occ 6ft 'POOR" conditions(Surfline.com) With the helmet cam firing away for 4 battery packs...I came home with over 1200 photos[&:]...my eyes hurt right now... I sifted them down to 147 and finally whittled them down to these:

Tina was on FIRE!!!

Board ran pretty well..not perfect...parts will be here Monday!

She had quite the cheering section this morning.

There were plenty of faces to carve up. If lucky we got out in time

Busting Air whenever she could...

She almost jumped out of this photo!

'POOR CONDITIONS' indeed...I can't wait until they say it is GOOD...VERY GOOD...VG to EPIC...EPIC!!!!!!

I only hope work does not get in the way...

Ok, I like this on too:

Tina and one of her friends at WindanSea
Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 PM
jocktime

Kite,
Nice photos, I use to surf Windansea when I lived in So, Cal. great spot.
Tina has excelent hairdoo....jock
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM
daign

Hi all. I'm a newbie to RC surfers but was born and raised in socal. So I decided to build a custom RC surfer.

I am disabled so I spend a lot of my time building. Its my favorite part. I love throwing brushless with 6s lipo in the smallest thing I can and watching it haul the mail!

Some of my work:

RC cars/trucks:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102046385214554961345/RCCars?authuser=0&feat=directlink

UAVs/Quads:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102046385214554961345/RCCars?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I have been looking around a bit and getting an idea of what platforms are out there and whats to start with etc. Seems Kyosho original and then modified is the way to go. The lisa model and Kelly slater need even more work so I understand?

What would be a good platform for me to buy a board with a rider, then add my own electronics and drivetrain. I'd like to run 3s Lipo and 2.4ghz. I have a Futaba 3PM-x I planned to use for 3 channel controls. Maybe I could use the 3rd channel for something...

I was thinking a traxxas velineon system and a good quality waterproof servo.

I need help with the bases and plan to start reading this thread from the beginning....

I've seen Surfcurls and while they seem to know what they are doing its insulting paying $500 for anything that runs NIMH unless theres a reason... 

Thanks for the help all!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kite

cant wait to meet tina in person

maui john
Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Saildoggie

daign your RC work on those crawlers and buggies is over the top man!

Would love to help you get started but not really an expert at this myself in any regard, I started with one of Surfcurl's NQD set ups and upgraded to Lipos and not looking back, hope to keep that set up in my quiver for a long time as I like the way it surfs a LOT.

I am building a development board, something very different and making very slow progress at it as too busy with work, family, dogs, and my other passion, sailing and racing sailboats.

I work near LA and would be glad to help you out in any way I can, I think the other local guys would glad to be a part of getting you up and surfing as well.

Maybe passing on one of their development boards that works well and they have moved on, dunno but let's get you set up and in the water!!

Would be great to have you join the gang at the Bro Down next month as well.

Let's jump in guys and have some fun!!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM
daign

Thanks for the compliments. I've got lots of practice and time. I started with the Tamiya Frog at age 12. Had a scorcher, Blackfoot and then got an HPI RS4 and got out of the hobby until recently. Scale is my thing. Wiht surfing though, it looks like its so much fun. I can "paddle out" with my brother.

Do the NQD boards work as decent starting platform for adding brushless and Lipo? The price is right and I get all my lipos from HK anyway.

What sort of KV are you guys running?

Stilll looking through the thread, Thanks
ORIGINAL: Saildoggie

daign your RC work on those crawlers and buggies is over the top man!

Would love to help you get started but not really an expert at this myself in any regard, I started with one of Surfcurl's NQD set ups and upgraded to Lipos and not looking back, hope to keep that set up in my quiver for a long time as I like the way it surfs a LOT.

I am building a development board, something very different and making very slow progress at it as too busy with work, family, dogs, and my other passion, sailing and racing sailboats.

I work near LA and would be glad to help you out in any way I can, I think the other local guys would glad to be a part of getting you up and surfing as well.

Maybe passing on one of their development boards that works well and they have moved on, dunno but let's get you set up and in the water!!

Would be great to have you join the gang at the Bro Down next month as well.

Let's jump in guys and have some fun!!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hey Dang,

Our Boards Can Run Li-Po or Ni-mh, Just To clarify ...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Kite,

Since The Diva's Are used to Roppongi tapas
after a wind n sea session, Should Bro #2 Be At La Jolla
Or still At Oceanside Pier (North) ?

Curly (The Insultor)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM
toyguy

Last Summer I put a 60amp HK speed control and brushless 380 in my Surfer Lisa. I want a little more speed. Is there a larger-maybe a 550 motor- at Hobby King that will work with my 60 amp speed control? I had seen a previos thread recommending a HK motor but I can't find it. Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 PM
daign

Sorry didn't mean for my first impression to be with my foot in my mouth.

I understand what goes into 1 off custom builds and have not ruled you guys out as a dealer either.The $500 mark seems to be the average number between the sites I've come across.Do you guys offer board kits with piping, rider, linkage to the motor, basically a startup barebones high end kit?

I may have emailed you that exact question in fact

I'd like to build and learn RC surfers....
Cheers and apologies for coming across the wrong way. Meant no insult.

-Dane

ORIGINAL: surfcurls

Hey Dang,

Darn, Sorry I insulted you at $500 for a pro level model R/C Surfer
That comes with Ni-mh, and a sytem that can run your own Li-po Batts

I will PERSONALLY apologize To You early, As My Boards start at $700 at this time Not $500.
Not sure where you got the less price, I would have bought one myself ?

You May Think We At Surfcurls Seem to Know. But really, We Never Know What We're Doing NEXT. Lol !

Welcome To The Show. You Made A Splash With Me...

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM
daign

Should I not even bother with these Lisa and post Kyosho kits? Should I be putting my focus into a board from someone like surfcurls?

I've never been a fan of starting from the bottom and trying to fix a beginner kit with a bunch of bandaids. I tend to beat on my toys hard, whether they be RC, 1:1 or me riding in them. I plan on surfing locally in Manhattan beach where the surf usually gets maximum  7'. I'd like the ability to hit surf that big, or is that approaching high maintenance territory?

Videos of RC, and Real cars on the track etc.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM
CalifKid

Daign, the easiest way unless you can find a cheap Kyosho - is to buy a cheap NQD throw all the electronics out, seal the hull and put your own running gear in. For a 3cell system look at around 3000kv 36mm motors.
I am building a custom and trying to work out what tailshape and fin setup to run with. Pin/single. Pin/twin. Swallow/twin....
Hey anyone know how to make moulds for pool flotation device foam?
Would be good stuff to do figurines from as its light boyant flexible and closed cell. Been looking at doing quick figures from it. Costs about $8 in total.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM
CalifKid

Daign if you already have the radio gear you can do a NQD rebuild yourself for $300 max.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

CalifKid

your rough shape looks great I can tell you my dimensions length 34in. width 10.5in man 13.5 in heigth

maui john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.