Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Rich

check out the inside simple yet soild john maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55205.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1532375  
Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Jimi Findrix

RC Surf Addicts,

Got one and a half hours "Moore" perfection early today but it was only small,  that foamball in the pit looks so sick, especially as it is just metres off the beach.
Done some work on the "Venom" board Luke gave me.
I have modified the battery tray in the Kyosho Thruster,squared otf the bottom and resealed it so the hard pack LiPo's fit better.
It has the perspex deck on and after tub testing this evening, it seems pretty right to go.
I am gonna test it with 3 Lipo packs in the morning if "Point Moore" is still happening.
Similar wind and swell is predicted so I am amping up for the test run.
Can't wait to see how well it surfs with the fin setup, I hope it stays dry inside.
Think I will take the NQD and half a dozen NiMh packs just in case the Kyosho has any teething problems.
Sea ya crew.

JIMI Findrix
(Geraldton W. A.)
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Cananzi

Hey fellas

thought id give a more expensive motor a go out of curiosity.I picked up a Leopard hobby motor.... anyone seen them?? I got a 540/ 40mm dia. I was shocked i must say, these lil motors pack some punch compare to the others I have tryed so far. Imkeeping this motor for my 3s surfer for sure!.

picked same one up $70 off ebay http://www.hobbyscene.com.au/hobby/m...bp4060-2y.html

Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 PM
skowowski

Hi Guys,

As the surf has been sloppy and onshore for about the last month, decided to play around with the fin system as a lot of you guys are using single fins and I have always used the original fin and just added a little super glue to the rudder are to make sure it doesn't move out of place. Also i found the rudder always had a bit of slop and wanted a solid fit around the fin strut.

Anyway, after trying a home-made fin (a piece of plastic cut to shape, 4mm stainless steel shaft cut down and filed, put in place with epoxy and then fiberglassed) I found that the surfer did not skim across the water smoothly but had some bounce and when on the wave face it would lean over a lot as the fin was lifting upwards through turns.

So I put a horizontal wing in at a downwards angle on the fin (similar to the original design) and it is amazing. It hugs the wave through some seriously fast turns and has no bounce when skimming across the water.

Now, my surfer weighs a lot (2.1kg) as I use large batteries and had to put some extra weight up the front to balance it out, so those using lighter surfers may not experience the bouncing as I have.

To eliminate any rudder slop, I used a 6mm propshaft tube which fits perfectly in the rudder slot, and using the original 4mm, it has a perfect fit.

However, the uncut end of the propshaft tube fits a 4mm perfectly, but the cut end has a slightly wider diameter (the ends of a propshaft are 4mm, but inside the tube its 5mm)

To fill that gap, I cut the end of a 4mm bullet connector and it surprisingly it fits over the rudder strut perfectly and then slots into the cut end of the propshaft tube just as nicely. It does not have any slop or movement. And for the first time ever, not one drop of water got into the rudder compartment.

For those who want to stop their rudder sloppyness, this works great and being a propshaft tube, add a little grease and it has absolutely no resistance when turning. I found that the original fin was being pushed back from the force of the water when surfing and it put extra pressure on the servo and sometimes the rudder would not return back to being in perfect alignment.

Anyway, this is me just playing around and throwing a few ideas around, maybe someone has a much simpler and more effective idea ; )

On a different note, I blew up an ESC on the weekend, after removing the silicon on either end of the ESC (this is the best way to truly waterproof your ESC) I found water inside the ESC, which shocked me as there was not a drop inside the board. After closer inspection, i found that one of the tubes that you attach your silicon tubing to has started to undo itself from the cooling box in the ESC and water was dripping inside which in turn blew it up!

So check your Seaking ESC and make sure those two water tubes are screwed in tight!

Below are some pics of the fin and parts so you can understand what I was talking about a lot easier.

Ciao guys.

Name:	Zx70127.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1533410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23325.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1533411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18369.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1533412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22997.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1533413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57359.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1533414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48129.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1533415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47337.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1533416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml39547.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1533417  

Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
skowowski

Wow, the pictures came out massive! I do not know why as they are each less than 100kb...

Anyway, if you click on them them get smaller for some reason.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Jimi Findrix

Hi Seb,
Yeah something goin' on with the photo attachment thing, the first photo comes out fine then others come out massive.
Must be a glitch in the system.

The esc tubes do come loose I have had one do that.

Your fin ideas sound cool.

I have found a few wraps of plumbes tape on the fin shaft tightens up the standard fin in the tube, a neoprene washer like the one on your deck bolts on top helps seal it better too but is a tight fit.

Do you have any problems with the standard fin occaisionally twisting out of position after a massive crazy air?
That is one thing that happens to me sometimes.

Sea ya.

JIMI

Old 12-12-2010, 04:32 PM
skowowski

Jimi,

I know what you mean about the rudder moving after a wipeout and just going in circles! To fit it, just use a drop of super glue between the top of the rudder strut and the plastic steering arm and a wider threaded screw (i use a 3mm x 12mm wood screw) to screw them together tight. It will NEVER move after a wipe-out, however, if you ever need to remove it, it can be a challenge. Super glue is less affected by water so it does not break down like epoxy does.

I have tried many different things to eliminate any slop with the original rudder, but the more I did to make it solid (washers, heat-shrink tube, you name it) , the more friction was put against it turning and was never completely without movement. Now it turns like a propshaft does with zero friction and zero slop and no water in the rudder area. My rudder area was full of water after every session (I've even had water travel up the pushrod tube and into the board, so I filled the pushrod tube with grease and that stopped that happening again), and fitting a rubber washer on the base of the fin and a washer at the top of the strut often created a lot more friction. I'm running on 3 cells and the speed the surfer travels can really put a lot of pressure on the rudder and push it backwards.

It was a mission to put a new fin system together, but it works very well and is super strong. I can now start changing rudders depending on surf size. Plus, the surf has been so bad for so long, I wanted to do something to upgrade the surfer. I fitted a 4mm SS shaft to the original fin so I can use that also, takes just 30 seconds to change fin.

Seb
Old 12-12-2010, 09:23 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

seb

sick fin design, surfboards i used in the 80,shad thesame fin with two rails, another super idea by seb good to hear you are never satisfied and keep inproving your set up. john maui
Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM
skowowski

Just wish I could improve the surf conditions...!

How is the hunt going for a place to shred some XL RC waves?? The first time I saw the YouTube link to the big wave surfing you posted, at first glance I thought it was your surfer on the wave and was thinking holy c**p that's massive!

The wipe-outs you posted are great, that last one was solid! I don't think my dude would handle such a beating. If the surf around here got better I might one day find out.....

Seb

Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 AM
goggz

Here's a proto type board ive made from foam / resin.....

Name:	Mk27651.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1534043  
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 AM
R a i n e r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hobbyscene.com.au/hobby/motors-esc/brushless-motors/inrunner-motors/leopard-inrunners/leopard-4060-2900kv-4-poles-inrunner-brushless-motor-red-lbp4060-2y.html

1700W !! That's more than 2 horse power!!!
What's the run time of this monster?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 AM
skowowski

Goggs, that's awesome! I did my last board to scale of the Lisa and it rips. Welcome to home-made rc surfing! You need to chat to John in Maui, he's the master when it come to these!!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

goggz

great job , you have made surf boards havent you it looks very pro like i would like to send you are dvd it might help or it might not or just give you more ideas. its so chopy here in maui the plastic boards dont work and they leak , plus you have unreal waves in new zeland looking foward to more pics.

john maui
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Jimi Findrix

Goggz,

The foam board looks great.
Unless someone comes up with something better than that latest plastic surfer soon then it looks like the only way to go in the future.

I still have not tested the Thruster because the surf has not really been worth bothering.
I did go to "Point Moore" a couple of times but the tide was too high and water was covering the sandbar that creates the point set up so there were a lot of cross swells messing it up.
Have not been lookin' anywhere else.

Should get my car back from the panel beaters today.
Looks like there could be some suitable waves on the weekend.
Hope Bob can make it to film the test run.
I might have to take the Gathcam just in case.

The board I got from Luke is coming along great.
I have squared out the battery tray to fit the LiPo's better.
Need to shorten the leads on the LiPo packs by about 50mm for a better fit too.
Painted the rails blue.
Waiting on another flexi-end shaft and ESC.

Just keeping one board running well is a lot of work.
Trying to get 4 or 5 up and running is a total freak out.

Sea ya.

JIMI
(Gero - W. A.)
Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

goggz

Another thing to do with a custom made rc surfer.

I shot this video with my 36in. custom made rc surfer, yours looks alot like mine super fast . NO lisa orNQU hull canhold the weight ofa video cam, these are local pros doing 360s

the kid in the end just place 5th in the vanstriple crown

john maui

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7T3mgZ98oY[/youtube]
Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Thats Great Footage And Well Produced For The Stoke, Loved the slo mo ...

This could open a whole new Application for Rc Surfer's
Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 PM
skowowski

John Maui,

Brilliant idea with the rc surfer, good angle to film from.

Got a decent tube ride this morning on the Lisa, just didn't make it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vYZIA8W2nw

And some more footage of me surfing some crappy low tide shore-break waves from this morning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvcBgsPAGg

The fin I made holds on to the wave well, especially when trying to get slotted.

Good wave predicted in the next few days so I'll post something half decent on the weekend.

Seb
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Cananzi

rainer 

it seems to be slightly longer run time then the other motor i was running but i will have to time it. Im running 3s 5000mah 20-30c turnigy with it and it goes awesome, it seems to stay really cool to. Im thinking of getting the 36mm series one for my 2s surfer.

seems my curiosity has paid off. lol
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 AM
goggz

Crew...thanks for the rad comments.. im new to shaping and glassing... i did get a few pointers from buddy who owns a local surfboard factory here in New plymouth...so he's been a huge help... tonight ive layered cloth and glassed over the board... hence the man cave picture

John Maui... Yes im super keen for the dvd.. i emailed you so im waiting on your reply.. your clip is of the triple crown?? Carissa Moore (hawaii) has sponsered 3 gromits from my local surf club (WBBRC) for a trip to see a triple crown event next november.. Dam it's got me thinking of going as support crew [:-]

Name:	Xv64980.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1534380  
Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Jimi Findrix

Global Board Building Buddies,
I have been cutting up some 4mm aluminium tubing and fitting new water ports to a few boards today.
I have finished fitting them to the new Venom and a spare new NQD and have cut another pair for my main NQD.
I have just enough tube left to make some for my Kyosho Lisa tomorrow.
Should have all four hulls fitted by tomorrow night.
Them plastic stock ones are suss and I have been meaning to change them  for ages but I did not realise how easy it would be.
I don't really have any overheating problems anyway but now there will be a lot more water pumping through.
Mostly I wanted to change them 'cause the plastic ones seam to dribble and leak and wobble in the holes and they don't have much room for securing the hose on well.
Great fun.

Can't wait for Sat morning.

Sea ya.

JIMI Findrix
(Geraldton - West Oz)
Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

damit

seb that wave wassuper thick.you almost made it out i think you would have made it out if the other side didnt close out.
goggz

i wish i could film the triple crown , no thats right in front of my house, it always gets small waves good for rc surfing somtimes good for real surfing

john maui
Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM
jocktime

John,
I found these, couldn't find the good ones.
jock

Name:	Hf99902.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1534525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81648.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1534526  
Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hi Crew,
Finished the water ports on all the boards.
Waiting on a few parts to arrive.
Next job Carbon Fibre on a few more Dudes.
God, this is a full time job.
But it is fun.

Meeting Bob at "Point Moore" at 5:30am.
Should find something worthy I hope.
Chargin up now.

Offshore is howlin' at the moment (9:00pm) and has been all day.
Looks like some good RC surf conditions for the next week or so.

Hope you are all gettin' waves.

Sea Ya.

JIMI Findrix
(Geraldton - W. A.)

Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 AM
skowowski

Hi Guys,

Posted some more footage on YouTube of a super fun session Thursday afternoon. Plenty of airs and 360's and even managed a 360 double flip. I'm super happy with my new fin.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADiVMNqdHuM

Went to the beach Friday morning, perfect conditions, 1ft clean peelers and forgot to put a tape in the camera before leaving the house..... damn!

Hope everyone is getting some good waves.

Seb
Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Thats Some Great Shots !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.