Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bendix Type Starter

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Bendix Type Starter

Old 03-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Jhoyoza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bendix Type Starter

Hello,

I’m curious if a Bendix type starter is available to start a hobby boat engine remotely. (Just like in a car engine that is permanently mounted and disengage when the engine starts.) Weight is not that much of an issue as my Boat hull is over 30” long and nearly 9” inches wide and can handle substantial weight.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/de...?f=21&m=161152

The reason being, the electrically operated boat that is R/C and GPS guided will troll around for over 6 hours at 50% throttle using an very quiet electric motor. I want to try fresh water fishing with it. This will require a kick-butt gas engine to start-up to pull in the catch. It doesn’t make sense to use a gas engine at all times as it is noisy and perhaps difficult to control at slow-speeds. I also require to go in reverse. This boat is not currently built for speed however it is capable of about 5-6 knots at full throttle. That pretty whippy compared to speed boats I have seen on line. A decent sized fish will simply overtake it. No doubt!

I created my own radio-control-system using a programmable controller by Parallax Corp. and a GPS unit that is perfect for “Smart” navigation purposes. It is capable of detecting when a fish is on the line and then starting a gas-powered engine. (If I can find a starter) I then can either automatically bring it on home, or switch to R/C control at anytime. (Within 300 meters.) I also added a wireless underwater camera to see what is on the fishing line and can’t wait for the ice to melt in the North East again to try it out.

Thanks in advance!

-Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91753.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	639062  
Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Bendix Type Starter

What you'd like to do would weight enoughnto sink that boat. Traxxas has their onboard starter on the Nitro-Vee but it doesn't carry a battery pack to power it up in the water. The boat weighs too much as it is with the starter and Return To Shore system. It could be done but your best bet is to just install an electric motor.
A decent bluegill could pull that boat under as I've seen some put a nice bend in a fishing pole. Hook onto a nice legal bass and you're boat is a goner. Ever see "Jaws"?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Jhoyoza

Thank you,

That is exactly what I was looking for!

I’m not necessarily locked into the hull that I’m currently using. I enjoy the plastic-hull as it was cheap to buy, tough as nails, and exceptionally water-proof and easy to work with especially with modern glues and stock-plastic-sheeting for mounting stuff. The water-line weight-limit on that particular hull is only about 6 lbs. I use (6) 9.6 volt NIMH 1800 MAH battery packs for propulsion and (2) 9.6V NiCad Battery packs for electronic support., plus a GPS unit, electric motor, and various electronics. I estimate I’m at about 4/5th of that limit now, and you are probably right when considering the added weight of the engine, fuel, starter pack, add a decent sized bass, or even a 12” pickerel fighting like a wild demon and it would swamp it for sure!

This first design was to prove the GPS. R/C control capabilities using a basic-stamp.

I can always either purchase or build a larger hull. I’m not sure about the Traxis 2.5 engine nor its exact power to weight ratio specifications. Maybe I will need 2 of them But I’m going to try to purchase the engine and starter-pack only (if possible) and go from there. Nor will I need the R.T.S. system. The weight of the EZ-Start 2 controller doesn’t look that heavy as it only uses a standard 7.2 volt battery pack. I must say, the exploded views I found are outstanding!

After all, it is power not speed that I’m after and I would most likely have to switch out the prop for something less-racing orientated. And of course I don’t want it to become some type of submarine either…lol. Yes I saw Jaws! I think I simply need a larger hull.

Any recommendations? Anyone?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:07 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Quite the project. One question comes to mind. Assuming you get a workable package, where do you stand as far as your states game laws. LEGAL ????
Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Jhoyoza

Dear Mr. Nomobux,

Yes, I would have to purchase a legal fishing license and after carefully studying the regulations I saw nothing illegal about using a powered-boat to fish or troll with. (People do it all the time.) Some lakes do have horse-power limitations however. Also, nothing about having to be actually sitting in the boat! They sell electric-lures, and every other kind of rod and lure imaginable. My intentions are far from devious???

What is not allowed is using a net to scoop up fish, or using yellow corn for bait when fishing for stocked-trout in rivers. And of course breaking the limit and size rules. Calling in ridiculous complaints is also discouraged and a waste of good tax dollars. Lake fishing is suppose to be fun and they encourage creativity and especially catch and release.

Surely one can count on some wanna-be’ demagogue calling in and whining complaining about, “There must be a law!?“ (You know how some people love to dictate imaginary laws…we like to call them malcontents who have nothing better to do than make every one else’s lives as miserable as their own.) One actually called in trying to say kids using electric-boats were scaring ducks and geese. But, actually the ducks and geese find it quite entertaining, they actually allow the boats into the flock for a good nap. Small minnows tend to follow the boat around so there is a great repore going on there. However, they are quite protective over the babies!

Since I will be in complete control and I’m a catch and release guy, I don’t see a problem. I suppose if I did somehow lose control it would be equivalent to dropping the fishing rod over the side of the boat and diving after it. (Been there done that.) If every fisherman who was snoring away with a fish on the line was written up, it would tie the courts up for years. Perhaps the noise associated with a gas-powered racing engines may disturb the locals but I intend to keep things as quiet and mellow as possible by swapping out the prop and using a quieter muffler.

Perhaps lobbying a representative in your state to somehow make it illegal may help, you know preventing cruelty to fish or something to that effect might work?

Keep me informed! Right now I’m interested in finding or building a larger hull.

-Peace

P.S. With all due respect, I find it interesting the word nomo in law suggest the concept of law and the problems associated with political authority. Ironic to say the least!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What was asked was not an unreasonable question as laws vary from state to state. Some do not allow electric powered reels unless the person is handicapped. It is illegal here in Michigan to use a boat like this for fishing and I know that is illegal in other states also but I don't know about yours.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Jhoyoza

Mr. Moderator,

I never said it was unreasonable? However I will now say it was certainly provoking and perhaps designed to flame, degrade, insult or perhaps embarrass. Quote: “LEGAL ????” My intent was not to get into the legality of using such a device and such digression seems rather unusual and certainly off-topic from my original intent of purchasing RC universe products and investigate available options. Perhaps as a moderator, you may find fishing rules, and dictating law justification for a separate topic (or category) and I will certainly start a new topic in regards to finding a larger hull?

I’m simply interested in patronizing RC Universe products with my hard earned $$ and gain and share advice from other “fun“ minded hobbyist and not to argue state fishing laws? However, if you insist, your statement appears unsupported as I couldn’t find any such regulation or law in the Michigan? (Or any other state.) With all due respect, perhaps, you may be kind enough to point-out the exact regulation that such device can not be used?

Web site: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...7191--,00.html

With all due respect, I would like to get back to having fun and purchasing RC universe products. []

Thanks!

Joe
Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 PM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

No offense. I was simply askng a question out of curiosity. I find your project interesting.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Jhoyoza

Ok Thanks,

My intent is to have fun! Sounds like you do also, and thanks for the interest.

-J
Old 03-13-2007, 02:12 AM
ob nut

In my collection of boats, there is one there that has a remote starter built in. Boat is around 5', powered by a 36cc motor. Remote starter motor is a basic 540 can motor. It's not fast by any means, maybe 20mph tops. But it's an interesting conversation piece. If you would like, I'll get some pics here in the next few days.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Jhoyoza

Awesome! 5 footer! Sound exactly like something I’m looking for! (or build) [X(]

Well I was thinking about 4’ but 5’ is better no doubt..

Dying to see the pics. Any chance it may be up for sale?

Thanks for your response!

-J
Old 03-18-2007, 11:24 PM
ob nut

I would post pics, but they are LARGE, scary large. Even after crop'n and cutting, they are still over 100K large.

Check for pics here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ob_nut3/id15.html
Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a remote starter www.hobby-lobby.com/fema.htm that you could maybe rig up.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Jhoyoza

Tidnab,

That is fantastic! Thank you so much!

And for airplanes too! Who would have guessed?

Appreciatively yours,

-J