Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

kool klamp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default kool klamp?

hi, i found an old mccoy .19 plane engine at a garage sale, the old guy that sold it to me said it was modified for a boat. around the head there is this copper thing called a "kool klamp", does anyone know about these or what they are worth, i have been looking everywhere and i cant seem to find them. i wil try to put up some pics, but my phone is not a very good camera.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:30 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: kool klamp?

They were made by Octura. Have no idea on the value. I doubt it's much, they were fairly common.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
blizard05

I have 2 of them,1 on a OS 35, other on a OS 50.Don't think they are worth much. We used them in (the old days)before marine engins.Also have the fly wheel,s Larry B
Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

KOOL KLAMP , which , as said above , WERE made by Octura ( not made for a while now ) .. they were a cheap thing to do , so folks could convert a regular airplane nitro engine , into a water cooled boat engine . ( mind you , not that you got the R's or ponies of a marine engine )

you can fidn them on EBAY , ever once in a while ...

Value ???? Around $2.00 for the one you have and about $20.00 to ship - ( ya know... typical EBAY shipping price for cheap items )
Old 04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kool Klamps can be hard to find, when you want one! I got into some bidding wars in order to get the one I needed and payed around $10 for it.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kool Klamps are easy to make using soft copper tube. Did it many times. Simply take a piece of soft copper tube of the appropriate outside diameter and length, slightly flatten it, slip in two or three lengths of solder side by side and flatten completely until the solder stops you. Wrap the tube around the cylinder head to get the correct length with some extra for bolt tabs, melt out the solder, flatten the ends completely and drill to give bolt tabs, drill for water entrance and exit tubes and solder in the tubes. You have a kool klamp. $10 for a Kool Klamp !!!!!!!! Not in my shop.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I know. I learned my lesson!