Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Radio help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Pambs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio help

Hi

My uncle is upgrading to a new radio for his plane. He currently owns a 9c futaba and he really gave me a good offer for it $200. Can i use this with boats?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
saleens7

Default RE: Radio help

no, plane radios run on a air frequency and not a surface frequency....you will have to get a surface radio (one that operates on 75MHz or 27MHz)

heres a frequency list

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...freq-chart.php
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Pambs

sorry the model is ff9 maybe is the european version and on the manual it has 2 frequencoes 35 and 40Mhz. My uncle's one comes with the 35 frequency but is it possible to change it to 40?

In Cyprus where i live the frequency for surface is 40Mhz

http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...aender/CYP.pdf
Old 04-16-2007, 03:02 PM
anewman12001

hi i just got a electric boat that has a crane with 2 servos i'm looking a cheap radio for it. any help would appreciated
Old 04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

If it's the version that comes with a changable transmitter module, you may be able to buy one for the other frequency range. If it doesn't have the changable module, Futaba service has a program to replace the transmitter board. I know this service is available in the US, but I don't know where you would send it.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Pambs

well i'm not sure but i think it will not be a good idea to risk it and up with a transmitter that doesnt work. I think i'll go for the futaba 3pk, what do you think about that?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
LtDoc

Pambs,
I have no idea what the requirements are where you live. But from what I've seen so far, that 'deal' may not be as good a deal as you'd think (wrong band). A multi-control-channel radio is very nice to have, all those 'extra' things you can control with it. But if don't think you'll ever need those 'extra' channels, or you aren't supposed to use it for what you want it for... oh well.
If you select a radio from a name brand, and if it has the required number of control channels, and if it doesn't require a trip to the bank before buying it, and if it satisfies all the 'other' requirements, then it ought to work just fine.
- 'Doc

( Don't know about your's, but I have to watch my relatives very closely!)
Old 04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Pambs

yeap same thing with the relatives here. Ofcourse my uncle's knowledge about surface frequencies is limited so i think he was just trying to help

Anyways i ve seen that a lot of guys in the US are using the 3PK or the react transmitters, what do you think about these 2?

I live in Cyprus which is a small island 1000000 people so the rc hobby is not that spread except when it comes to cars. but expensive receivers are not in stock so i'll be buying
one based on the info i get on the net

the prob is that i'll be building a large cat that will cost me a lot of money and i wont feel comfortoble without having a good radio if you know what i mean

thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
topfuel4430

You can use the radio on 40MHZ for your surface vehicles. However, that is way to much radio for just about anything surface, unless you are talking about robots or highly detail scale models who need the extra channels. Tell your uncle I'll buy it from him for $200 bucks. I sold my 9C (ff9) last year and I wish I had it back for my aircraft....

~James
Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Pambs

no it's just for boats and i dont think i'll need more than 3-4 chanels max. the $200 it's for me
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It will depend on what the laws are in your country as to what frequencies that you can use.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 AM
topfuel4430

Cyprus is a small island off the coast of Turkey. 40MHZ is legal there for surface, thats why im saying he could use the transmitter for surface use.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Pambs

Topfuel, exactly my thoughts i ve also seen the nomadio radios ract and sensor, any comments on these 2?

Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Pambs
the prob is that i'll be building a large cat that will cost me a lot of money and i wont feel comfortoble without having a good radio if you know what i mean
There is actually little difference in the reliability of radios from the name brand manufacturers. I too see lots of people using the 3PK, but I also see people using less expensive radios. The typical gas boat needs two channels, steering and throttle. A third channel could be used for something else, but typically isn't. Nitro boats are often setup with a 3rd channel to control the needle valve. Since the gas engines have a more sophisticated carb, the third channel needle isn't needed. The Futaba 3PM is an example of a radio that's at a lower price point than the 3PK.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Pambs

I'll be running an electric boat and i'm also planning to built a gas one. so i guess 2 chanels are fine
Old 04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
LtDoc

Pambs,
I'm not familiar with the 'React' radios at all so can't really say which would be better. Just because I'm familiar with something doesn't mean it's 'better'! In general, I think 'Futaba' is at the very least comparable to other manufacturers.
Having said that, having just one 'extra' channel sometimes comes in very handy! And since a 4 channel radio seems to be slightly more common than the 3 channels, why not? (Always keeping in mind that 'trip to the bank' thingy!)
As for receivers, the number of channels means very little as long as it has enough for that particular application. A two channel receiver will work just fine with a 4 channel transmitter as long as it's on the same frequency, uses the same 'mode', and is sometimes made by the same manufacturer (some do things differently). The other way around too, as long as the same "if's" are included.)
- 'Doc
Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: saleens7

no, plane radios run on a air frequency and not a surface frequency....you will have to get a surface radio (one that operates on 75MHz or 27MHz)

heres a frequency list

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...freq-chart.php
just so you know 75 mhz is elegal in the uk not sure about europe?.surface radios are 27 or 40 mhz
35 is for air as said earlier.
[link]http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/72MHZ-is-ILLEGAL-for-Radio-controlled-models-in-the-UK_W0QQugidZ10000000000948580?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT :-1:SEARCH:2[/link]