Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

A good Tug Boat??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

A good Tug Boat??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:34 PM
funtanakevin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good Tug Boat??

I want a scale tug boat that will work good in a retrieval setting. In other words, I don't like to tennis ball theory and I allready have a full size boat for emergencies. I just want something that looks cool and can go get my 60 incher. I was thinking a tug boat with an outrigger type pole hanging off the back with some fishing line hanging down to the water with a hook on it. What do you think and where can I get one?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:51 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: A good Tug Boat??

First, do you want a RTR tug or do you want to build one. Considering the size of the boat to be rescued, I sort'a doubt if you find a RTR tug that will handle it. If you want to build one, your choices go through the roof!
As far as the 'hook' thingy goes, the problem is getting it 'attached' to something on the dead boat to start with, and where it gets 'attached'. 'Attaching' to one end (or the other) makes for easier pulling than 'attaching' to the middle.
- 'Doc

(I've decided that training ducks/geese to retrieve boats is a lost cause. So I think I'll try frogs instead.)
Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 AM
soundguykaraoke50

I HAD A VILLAN EX THAT WASN'T BEING USED ANY MORE.SO I BOUGHT TWO SEAPLANE SPONSONS AND SOME ALUMINUM ANGLES SOME FOAM PIPE WRAP,AND NOW I HAVE A RESCUE RIG THAT WILL BRING IN THE BIGGEST OF MY BOATS.I'LL TRY TO POST SOME PICTURES LATER.THIS CONTRAPTION BRINGS MY BOATS IN WITH EASE.PROBABLY NOT TO GOOD ON THE VILLAN,BUT SHE WAS COLLECTING DUST ANYWAY.SPEED IS ONLYABOUT 3-4 MPH WITH A LOADED DEAD BOAT.THIS SURE BEATS THE FISHING ROD WAY.THIS RIG IS 24 INCHES WIDE,I USED POLY SPONSONS AS TO NOT DING UP MY DEAD BOATS
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 PM
shockerman80

I use a 45 inch shelly foss (scratch built pics in the scale forum ) for retiving by bigger boats and a i have a converted midwest booth bay that works absoultly wonderful for pushing my other boats back. I love the lobster boat but it doesnt have enough power for my big gas boat.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:00 PM
BrooksSteam

The vac u boat site has both a 22.5" tug kit and also methods of sailboat or powerboat rescue with a tug (which could be adapted to any rescue boat). The vac u tug is not too scale as is, in my opinion, but can be modified, as you can see from photos at the site. I am building 2 of the tugs right now, one for me and one for a friend. Goes together well, great instructions and good parts.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/