Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:55 PM
hse32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio

can the 2.4ghz radio be used on water
Old 06-16-2007, 07:36 PM
saleens7

Default RE: radio

yes it can, but people have had range problems with them....in fact, i emailed futaba and they said that using their 2.4GHz radio system in a marine application is not recommended as there is a negative affect on range....although some people use them in their boats and have no problems at all as they usually stay far within the range of their radio...

personally, i think a good quality FM system is better...
Old 06-16-2007, 07:46 PM
juicr

The new Futaba Faasst system is great. I have it all three of my boats and have run them many times at differant race sites without even a glitch. It is way better than the older 2.4 systems. And way better than my old FM system.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:30 AM
LClark

I asked Futaba and they clained that they tested great on water. I beleive it because i had to wait for good weather for them to do the testing. I will be buying the Futaba.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:29 AM
LtDoc

Can a 2.4 Ghz radio system be used -on- water? Yes. Through water? No, not really. That's just one of the characteristics of frequencies that high, not a particular manufacturer's radios. That "through" water thingy also includes water/moisture in the air. Rain, or very high humidity, can affect range (humidity such as tropical rain forest, not the average non-tropical conditions). Range in those conditions is usually shortened by some factor, the heavier the rain/moisture, the less the range. That goes for anything in that frequency range, not just R/C radios. That shortening of range is a fairly small percentage of the total range, usually less than about 50% give or take some. If it's raining that hard, the average R/C modeler isn't going to be caught in it, unless he's being paid to be there or is really desperate for a bath - LOL! (I'm the only exception, but there has to be 'T'-shirts and females envolved, you know?)
The 2.4 Ghz band and radios are not 'cure-alls' for surface or air thingys. The typical 2.4 Ghz radio systems certainly have some nice features, but that's more convenience than anything, and you do pay for that convenience. I like mine, and haven't really had any problems that aren't possible with systems on other bands. At this point, they are not something that every modeler just ~has~ to have. The only sort of 'real' problem I've had is the one 'cured' by the voltage regulator modification. I won't have that one as soon as I get over my 'laziness'.
- 'Doc