Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need boat for 8 yr old

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need boat for 8 yr old

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
warpath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need boat for 8 yr old

Hi, I'm looking for a boat for my 8-year-old son. He has already has a Nikko Wave Buster that's pretty slow. Would like to keep cost below $50. He would be using it in a small cove of a large lake and would need reverse. Anyone have any ideas? He's looking at some of these boats: http://www.omegamarketplace.com/shop/rc-boats-c-27.html Thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Need boat for 8 yr old

Dad, spent a few extra dollars and move hin up to something like a Zig-Zag Racer or Reef Racer. At just under $80.00 each, they're faster than other boats that you'll find in their price range. Neither one have reverse though but they'll both turn tightly if he gets a little too close to something.
With brands like those, Nikko's, Radio Shack, etc. if something breaks or goes bad you might as well toss it away. With the ones mentioned above you can get replacement parts quickly plus they include everything that you need to get them on the water down to the batteries. The speeds (10-12 MPH) will keep him happy for a long time and they'll take a good beating.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 PM
MOVMX Racer

I side with Ron. My first boat was a cheap Nikko, but I got tired of being able to walk faster than it. Something like what you listed will still drive at a walking pace. Just because it doesn't say "Nikko" doesn't mean its faster, I learned that the hard way. If you will spend just a little bit more than $50, you may be able to get your son involved in this great hobby, much like my dad did when I was a kid. This will only end up being about $25 more: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXMPG3**&P=ML
and you can order parts for it if something breaks, avoiding having to buy a new boat: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=AQUB14**&P=Z
Reef Racers and Zig Zags are great starter boats and will last your son for a very long time if cared for well. those are my thoughts.
Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 AM
warpath

Thank you, Ron and MOVMX Racer!

I don't mind spending a little more on something that will actually get used.

The reason I mentioned reverse is that when the water drops in the cove it is sometimes only 50' across. I'm concerened he will runn the boat ashore and I'll have to constantly swim over and get it.

Is this boat going to be too fast for him to control?

Will it turn over and sink?

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 AM
warpath

I see that the AquaCraft Reef Racer 2 RTR EP Boat is self-righting. Maybe that's the one to get.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Ron Olson

Don't be surprised if you end up by getting a second one! Myself and some other old guys have found these little boats a lot of fun to mess around with. I bought one to use as a retrieve boat for my larger nitro boats but keep ending up by running the batteries dead by playing with them instead.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
MOVMX Racer

The reef racer should be a great boat for him to use. They are pretty quick for their size and price, but they are easy to handle and control, and since they are self righting, you don't have to worry about him flipping it over. These boats can literally turn on a dime, so you wont have to worry about him hitting the shore, just make sure he turns about a foot before he hits it .For where to buy it, Tower Hobbies has always got my order out in one or two days, and they provide tracking numbers so that you can tell your son exactly when you will get it. You may also want to check into local hobby shops (LHS) like Hobbytown USA, and I actually believe there is one in Kennesaw, just look at the second one from the bottom at this link: http://www.hobbytown.com/States.aspx?StateID=GA . Hobbytown will usually have one in stock, or stock one for you. On the store locator, it gives a phone number, so give them a ring and ask if they can get you one. They will also carry parts for them as well.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 07-14-2007, 07:08 PM
warpath

Hey guys, we got the Reef Racer and he loves it! Thanks.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Ron Olson

Glad to hear it. Now keep your hands off the transmitter or else you'll be going shopping again! Those little boats are a pile of fun for the money.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:27 PM
skull1971

Hi, just got my 5yo a reef racer, and she loves it. we run it till the batt's dead. She's not good with the throttle yet, but steering she's go down. I got a 20 off from Tower and bought it, it is well worth it!!