Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Just an Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:34 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just an Idea?

Say when i get my hull done for the USS Missouri how would i go making a mold from it. So i can make hull's for other some of her sister ship's . Some say ballastic gel (where would you get that from)or is there a cheaper way doing it. If so whats the process. Thank's yall.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Just an Idea?

I imagine that keeping a gel mould the correct shape would be interesting to watch, and the result would also be inteesting, if not useful. Most hull moulds are done in two halves, split down the centreline, in a nice thick, solid GRP, with a big lip at the centreline to allow the two halves to be fixed toether during laying up and then separated to get the new hull out.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just an Idea?

First you have to get your hull the way you want it, all nice and smooth and faired up. Then you want to apply a wax/mold release compound all over the hull. From there you apply layers of glass and resin. A 2 piece hull mold may be more work for you but it will make things a lot easier in the long run.

This has to be done before you paint up your existing hull.