Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

BETTER TYPE OF BOAT?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

BETTER TYPE OF BOAT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 PM
streiter10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BETTER TYPE OF BOAT?

SOME DUDE AT THE LAKE SAID THAT BRUSHLESS IS BETTER THAN NITRO

DO YOU AGREE?!?!?!?!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: BETTER TYPE OF BOAT?

Pepsi is better than Coke.

Same type of statement.

Nitro can run forever on the same volume of fuel It generates constant power. Batteries taper off constantly. Recharging wet fuels is in minutes.

Not bad for a guy who runs electric. Electric costs a fortune when you get up near the 30 cc size.
That is my crossover point to gas / nitro.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
toesupwa

ORIGINAL: streiter10

SOME DUDE AT THE LAKE SAID THAT BRUSHLESS IS BETTER THAN NITRO

DO YOU AGREE?!?!?!?!

With respect to what?...

Noise?
Smell?
Expense?
Difficulty?

or speed?...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:02 AM
mrfixitwhite

i run both !
the electric brushless for sheer ease of switch on and play but batteries dont last long enough for all day running
switch to nitro for power and long running
some people can't run nitro so electric is the only option
batteries i.e Lipo's have come on big steps so maybe in the future??
also tend to use elctric boat as rescue boat for when you stall mid water! lol
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
streiter10

toesupwa i mean as in as in overall ability to perform. i run nitro but im looking for a new boat. getting bored with mine. so including price speed looks ect. whats better brushless or nitro?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
goldendesign04

so including price speed looks ect. whats better brushless or nitro?
So you asked the questions an now youd have to answer them to get any opinions,
here I'll show you what I mean

Price, how much do you want to spend?
speed how fast you want to go?
looks what type of hull looks good to you, course this is irrelevant when considering FE/Nitro you can use the same hull for both.

This issue has been beat into the ground many times over an opinions are as varied as the people giving them so look for some common definitions of how you run to give an accurate comparison.
I'll give you my best shot at this an take it or not.
I had nitro, loved it, fast cool sounding an run all day as long as my pocket book allowed for the fuel purchases. Clean up maintence was a breeze, I like that sort of thing. You have stated you have nitro now so if you got another nitro boat are you now prepared to put that much more time in properly maintaining two nitro motors an so on?
I moved an didnt have the space to allow the clean up an plethora of other things. Went to Brushless, have too say hooked!!!
The options on nitro arent varied as much as brushless ie. motor (fiego, ammo, hacker, Neu, Lehner) can size, turns, Kv rating max volts. An so on an so on But thats just motors then you have various ESCs, Batteries LIPO or not to LIPO 15c 25c 40c 1500mah 2500mah or 5000mah. You see I only listed a fraction of options for anyone component an thats just the start, it can be overwhelming to learn all the nuances of FE boating but the satisfaction of putting together a hull/motor/esc/hardware/prop combo an to hear it screaming across the lake is Very Very rewarding.

But then again the same can be said to nitro.

My advice is if you dont have the money to do a complete switch to brushless an you already are seasoned with nitro in terms of tuning upkeep have all the tools, starters fuels glow plugs an etc etc
Stick with it, you sad your bored, think why? Then callenge yourself. Built a scratch built or a kit if your last one was a RTR or modd the one you have Frankenbeast it out. Im sure youll be continualy happy with rc boating for years.
But if FE still piques your interest spend a few hours combing through the FE forum on this web site, ask some pointed questions to what your seeing an learning.

-Wayne

All statements here are those of me an no one elses, an to some COMPLETELY wrong. Thats your descision not mine
HAPPY BOATING!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:21 PM
c-cat

I prefer the sound of brushless motors howling across the water,the lipo's or batteries are the downfall,short run time.I also prefer larger boats so price comes into play.Would be nice if someone messed around with on board high eff.generator behind a pum26 spinning two brushless props.Otherwise tomato, tomoto.