Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kalamazoo Fun Run, kind of.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Kalamazoo Fun Run, kind of.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Kalamazoo Fun Run, kind of.

We've been busy with the Grand Rapids site and had thought of using that lake but things are going slow right now awaiting the approval to use the site.
I've had members asking me if I'm going to hold the Fun Run again this year or not so here's the answer. Please read it carefully so that you get my drift as I'm worried about any liability issues in case something does happen so I don't get my butt sued off.
Let's just say that on June 14th that I'll be running my boats again at Kalamazoo's Spring Valley Park. If some other people just happen to stop by with their boats and want to throw them in the water, I can't do anything about it. Whether or not I'll have a course set up is going to be touchy as I have to apply to the DNR for a regatta permit and need a good 30 day lead time to get it approved.
I'm not expecting a lot of people to just happen to stop by this year but have already sent some of those asking PM's and e-mails.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:05 PM
NIRCBC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kalamazoo Fun Run, kind of.

Hello Ron I will tell my kids Im going to the store that day. email me when and where i will try and make it Thanks Brian from Valparaiso
Old 05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Ron Olson

Are you coming up I-69?
If so or those coming in from east of Kalamzoo take I-94 west to Exit 81, the I-94 Business Loop. Take that to the second light which is Sprinkle Road. Turn right (north) to "H" Ave. the next light past E. Main Street. Turn left noto "H" Ave. and takle that to the end which runs into Gull road. Take Gull to Brook Drive about 3 lights down. Brook only goes to the right. Follow Brook to where it curves left then downhill. At the bottom of the hill on the left is a park entrance. Take the left fork just inside and head towards the SW corner of the park. On top of a rise will be the parking lot across from a pumping station. The water tower is almost straight across the lake from where I'll be.
For those coming in from the west you can get off at Exit 80 then follow the same route as that is Sprinkle Road. From the north or other places I can give you directions also.
For those showing up or thinking about it, I can send you my cell phone number and my number that you can chirp me at if you have Nextel/Sprint/Boost Mobile.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:21 PM
NIRCBC

Im building 2 boats 1 this week is a 51 inch mono v hull with a stock zen the next boat is a 48 inch viper with a zen cant wait till i get there hope i have them brock in by then c u there ron
Old 05-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Ron Olson

Cool! It's a run what ya brung thing, fast or slow and powered by whatever. Some of the most fun boats last year were the slow ones.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

I'll be there ron. Whats the deal with getting sued? Something happen last year I don't know about?

I look forward to these "OB nut Fun Runs" it's great to see all you guys and hang out for the day, it always goes by soooo fast....before I know it, im on my way home.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
wave waker

Ron please don't give directions, poor guy he'l be lost..

come on Ron let's do it again the FUN RUN, tell u i don't mind driving 5 hrs just to be there..

chris fe aka nitro, how u doin man? any new boat?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Ron Olson

Nothing happened last year but I was told by Kevin Sheren, IMPBA D-2 director to watch how this is put on. He's seen how we have done it in the past so I just have to watch my backside just in case something does occur.
I have tried to word things so that I am going to be there and if anyone else does just happen to show up at the same time and place I can't do anything. Even with the DNR Regatta permit it doesn't give us or anyone else exclusive rights to the waterway. With that technicality, you could go fishing right in the middle of a Gold Cup race if you wanted to. I don't think that I'd try it though.
So far we've got more than just the people listed here. Mark, Wade, Darla's a good maybe right now, Misshydro another possible and the others responding here.
Chris just happened to PM me today asking if we were having it again this year. It won't be the biggie that we had last year and sorry people, no door prize as this is kind of a last-minute thing.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
NIRCBC

Hey Ron you can give away 1 of your boats for a door prize lol Oh yea I will be there bring a boat to tow yours back in to shore Have a Geat Day
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Ron Olson

#1, I don't think so but half-tempted after today.[:@]
#2, I don't think so. I will have a retrieve boat there, Leakin' Lena 8. I will let you row out there if you'd like to.
You missed last year as we gave away a new Aeromarine Mean Machine 18.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 PM
FE_Chris

Hey Juyl and everyone!

Glad to here Marks coming, Darla and all them. Sounds like a time. Ron, you say your not expecting as many, sounds like it to me! We'll have a good time anyway, we always do.

Yeah Juyl, I was telling Ron in a PM today that the owner of my LHS made me a good deal on a Black jack 55. I have sold all my FE gear. To expensive. batteries and what not. Fast Electrics are my RC passion, but the cost is to high for me. Granted, the thousand bucks for the BJ55 is a lot, but it is cheap to run it, and cheap to maintain it. Plus, I really only have time for one boat, so I decided till I get rich, it's time to switch up. Plus, who does'nt love 5ft long boats!

About the course Ron, who cares really, seems like everyone(especially me) always cuts the bouys anyway We'll have a blast regardless.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:58 PM
platinumjason

Got a question, is the pond this is happening at now insured by the IMPBA? If so Im guessing you have to be a member to use it? I just got the membership form in the box with my SV27 but havent got it filled out yet. Does this have to be done before I can use the pond?
Old 05-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Ron Olson

The lake here in Kalamazoo isn't a race site, just a place to run. This is why you're on your own here and why I'm phrasing things the way that I am. Think of it as if you went out and ran by yourself somewhere but just happened to be other boaters there at the same time.
At Spring Valley Park I won't have a DNR permit so legally I can't put up buoys but may put something up to mark off where the weed bed is which is about the size of a race course coincidentally.
I just got home from Sanford Lake in Grand Rapids, getting that site cleaned up. I found out while up there that the place is now IMPBA sanctioned and is considered private property. You can't run there without an IMPBA membership card but technically if you can show us where you've sent in the money (copy of the check from your checkbook, money order or whatever, even bring the check along if you haven't mailed it) you should be able to run. Trespassers will be fed to the pond monster.
I'm heading back up there Monday with boats in tow. We'll be trying to get the course set up also and will be left there throughout the rest of the season.
Racers are going to love this place, the wind was blowing at around 20 MPH and barely a ripple in the lake!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:31 PM
platinumjason

Sounds good, cant wait. I'll be there as long as no major events come up. Took the TC31 out today, not much success, so many boats out and wake that I mostly played submarine. Better luck tomorrow I hope.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 PM
FE_Chris

So Ron, how's the weeds situation at the lake this year? Last year it was'nt so bad....just curious.......

Man, I can't wait. I ordered the x572 prop that was recomended for the BJ55, a spare hughey flex cable and my gas can is full of 87 octane and mobil1 2-cycle im ready to tear it up!!!

Can't believe Mr.scott has'nt chimed in on this thread yet......To bad he's not gonna be able to tease my little electric boats this year cause I sold them all!!!! [8D]
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Ron Olson

I haven't been over to the park yet to check out the weed situation.
Mark's been on the road a lot lately so maybe that's why he hasn't posted to bug you yet. If Darla comes over you might have another BJ 55 to run against.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
FE_Chris

Last I knew Darla only had a SW55. She has been eyeing the BJ55 for a while, I know that. Hmmmmm I should call her and chat a bit, it's been a while. I always have a good time running with her too. I can wake up on a sunday and call her out of the blue, and if she's not busy she's always down to run some boats!!! Just like me!

Yeah Marks a cool guy, it's just not the same unless he's hassling me LOL
Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: FE_Chris

Can't believe Mr.scott has'nt chimed in on this thread yet......To bad he's not gonna be able to tease my little electric boats this year cause I sold them all!!!! [8D]
Mark is busy tweakin' his boat for Celina race this coming weekend.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:20 PM
FE_Chris

hey Juyl, you bringing the OB SW36? I'd love to see that bad boy!!!!

You still have a GPS? If so, BRING IT!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Ron Olson

Anyone coming from the north using US-131 I may have to give you an alternate route as there is major road work going on the usual route. I'll try to keep things updated but from the railroad tracks to the Kalamazoo Rive is shut down for most of the summer.
The better route is pretty simple. Continue down the 131 BL until you hit the first traffic light. Turn left and take that (E. Paterson) to Riverview Drive. Paterson dead-ends (no pun intended) at the cemetary. Turn left onto Riverview Drive then turn right by P&C Auto Body and the Kalamazoo Township Police station. That will be Mount Olivet which will take you right up to the park entrance. Watch carefully when you get ot the top of the hill as the park sign is blocked by a stockade fence.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
NIRCBC

Ron I just got my 48 viper in needs water see you the 14th
Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 AM
FE_Chris

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27308.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	960855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20939.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	960856  
Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 PM
02ram4by4

Hi My borther and I have the proboat hydros, and are very interested in coming. We have a lake cottage in Colon Michigan. I live in Muncie Indiana but we go up the lake every weekend. I really look forward to meeting you and the rest that can make it. What would be the best way from Colon to the pond.

Dave
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Ron Olson

Is that the lake right in town? It's been years since I've been there and rode with another guy to a fishing tournament.
All I remember is taking backroads to get there. Try Mapquest and use something like 2700 Mount Olivet, Kalamazoo 49001.
I'm at work right now otherwise I could probably help you out more.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...774&Y=5856&W=1
Old 06-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Bigmax96

From Colon take Colon Road West until it T's into 66. Turn right and take 66 North until it T's into 60. Turn left and take 60 West, through Mendon, until you get to Silver St. (I think there's a blinker there and it's just past a church on the left). Turn right and take Silver St. North until it T's (not sure of the name of the road at this point). Turn left and then you'll go around a big sweeping right hand turn and then take this North all the way to Vicksburg. At the light in Vicksburg (Shell station on the corner) turn left, go one block and turn right. Take this North into town until you get to a stop light, turn right, go one block and then turn left. Follow this the rest of the way through town and when you get to the BP station turn left. You'll now be on Sprinkle Road heading North. Take this for about 10 miles or so and you'll be at the intersection of Sprinkle Road & 94 and you can follow Ron's directions from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.