Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

.45 inboard needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

.45 inboard needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 02:07 AM
hweisbro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .45 inboard needed

I just ordered a Sorcerer boat. I had one when I was a kid. I need an engine.

Can I put an outboard on it?
Any pull starts available near 7.5cc?
Where do I find nitro engines in stock?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't go with an outboard. No pull start motors that big that I know of until you move into Gas power. An electric starter is cheaper than replacing a bad pull-start anyway. A lot of sites that carry 7.5's. How much do you want to spend? Most good 7.5's are going to be around $350.00 . Race boat or for play? The thought that you had one as a kid is that the hull is that many years outmoded, hull design has come a long way since then.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:24 AM
hweisbro

It's the same exact boat kit from Dumas I had when I was a kid. Same hull design, same surface hardware. I really liked it.

I guess I'll stick with a flywheel although it was kind of a pain to hold boat and flyweheel start without help. Maybe it will be easier now that I'm not 13.

--I had a K&B before. I can't find stock anywhere 7.5cc #9181
--The OS Max 46vx-m looks good and appears available
--Hyper Performance has a motor but I don't know about them
--OPS has a motor and it comes w/tuned pipe, sounds good
--Tidewater appears nifty but I'm not sure they still around?

It's basically a sport thang however I'm sure my son and I will race once we get into it. This boat will be race ready. It's design is shallow V with hydro strip on bottom center.

Any help on engine choices or where to buy. I guess I'm after rpm, nitro but not a red hot blow it out and repair in a month type motor. $250

Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 02:55 AM
Ron Olson

To make the starting easier, get a locking style glow ignitor. I start them all of the time by myself, my Son usually isn't much help.
Check eBay, there were 2 of the K&B's on there yesterday, one had the exhaust throttle setup that I personally don't like. K&B anything is hard to get right now with MECOA buying them out and doing a complete retooling. I had an OPS 7.5 that I recently sold, it was an older version but new. I didn't like the carb, it didn't look like it would fully shut off. The OS isn't a bad motor, I just about bought one last week myself after blowing up my K-45 for the second time in a year. Tidewater is still around, they have a new web address: www.tidewaterengineering.us . I'll have to look at the Hyperformance site to see what they have.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:07 AM
ziomatrixacs

hmm nice! i got a cheap,tyco ( 3 years old) rc hover its electric works VERY good but its dis continued-i think i seen some thing just like it same price too on discoverychannel.com go to shop and look for rc hover crafts some where i might of spelled that wrong the only things that are differnt are the colors mine is white and purple and this one is clear blue or yellow and im useing a coat hanger as an antanna ,lost my stock one lol =) but i like that gas one so any one know where i can get one and could i use my heli's radio on it =D with that, i could do a lot of things !!! if i make a homemade one ill put a jr5000t gyro on it so it wont drift and on water should the skirt make the bubbles and bounce?
Old 05-24-2003, 02:49 AM
75Blazer

Originally posted by ziomatrixacs
hmm nice! i got a cheap,tyco ( 3 years old) rc hover its electric works VERY good but its dis continued-i think i seen some thing just like it same price too on discoverychannel.com go to shop and look for rc hover crafts some where i might of spelled that wrong the only things that are differnt are the colors mine is white and purple and this one is clear blue or yellow and im useing a coat hanger as an antanna ,lost my stock one lol =) but i like that gas one so any one know where i can get one and could i use my heli's radio on it =D with that, i could do a lot of things !!! if i make a homemade one ill put a jr5000t gyro on it so it wont drift and on water should the skirt make the bubbles and bounce?

What???
Old 05-24-2003, 03:34 AM
Ron Olson

Yeah, what has that got to do with the subject at hand?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:48 AM
ziomatrixacs

that wasnt supossed to go there! i wanted to post that in hover crafts i could of swarn i posted that there im gunna e mail rc univese about that....
Old 05-24-2003, 02:15 PM
[email protected]

hweisbro,

oh man I just gave away a brand new K&B 7.5 inboard. The new style w/drum rotor to a guy for a sweetheart price, wish I'd seen yours first.

Actually the comment you made about not wanting a $250 blow up replace motor monthly is way off base. The motors these days last so well and are easy to up keep. Here is a look at a high end motor, top of the line and complete and Ron is right, $350.

http://hometown.aol.com/rcboats2/myhomepage/index.html
Old 05-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Ron Olson

Hey, rcboats2, haven't you got a boat to get ready for a race? Kick some rear this weekend! I gotta get out from this chair and get some ready to go myself.