Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help picking out a boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need help picking out a boat

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
empty_space

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking out a boat

I made another post in the nitro section because I thought I was going to get a nitro boat but now I am unsure. I didn't want to talk about electric boats in the nitro section so I made a post here.
I am leaning towards an electric one now. An electric boat would be less of a hassle than a nitro boat. And also a lot noisier because where I would run by boat is by a lot of houses and I don't want to get a boat and not be able to use it because of the noise. I don't want to spend more than $350 unless spending $50 more means you get a lot better boat.
I am thinking about these electric ones. Any other suggestions?

AquaCraft UL-1 Brushless Hydro RTR
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=115

AquaCraft SuperVee 27 Brushless!
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=52

Blackjack 26 Brushless Catamaran RTR
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB3300

I am still thinking about a nitro boat.
Is this one any good? If its alot better then the miss vegas then I am willing to get this.
ThunderCat 31 RTR with .32 Marine Engine & Radio
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2750

ShockWave 36 RTR w/T-Drive
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PRB2050T
Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Need help picking out a boat

Tell you what, go on You Tube and do searches for all of these boats.
The new Aquacraft is the fastest of the bunch but you're going to have to spend way over your limit to get it up to speed. It's going to need some top-of-the-line Li-Po's, a prop swap and a little other work but it's been clocked at 64 MPH on a 2-way pass at the NAMBA record trials at Legg Lake in California so it might be a bit much for a new boater but with what most people would use you wouldn't have any trouble with it.
We've got huge threads in the Fast Electric boat forum of each of these boats except the nitro ones of course so sit back and get ready to do some serious reading.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Racer21

Hey there...If you are concerned about noise, electric is definitely the better option. You will sacrifice some speed, but the electric boats are really pretty fast!
Here are a couple I would recommend you look into: Megatech Caribbean Cruiser II...hits speeds over 25 mph, at about $280 or so.
Also, check out CEN Aqua Jet...with it's 775 motor it goes over 20 mph and costs less than $200. CEN's Grey Thunder which cruises around 20 mph for a little over $200.

These boats are all in your price range, and they are ready to run...easy way to start into the hobby.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
rcboatergirl

Hey there!
If you're thinking about possibly a Nitro I take it that you're quite technically inclined. Why not go for a cheaper electric, like the Traxxas Blast (or, if the water tends to be a little rough you might want to learn toward the Villain) and then spend what you saved on modding it. You'll find tons of info online about modding these boats. One thing to consider about this option - anytime you mod an electric you'll probably have to upgrade the battery pack along with the rest of the boat so that you still get a decent run time.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
empty_space

Yea, I have 2 nitro cars so I'm not completely clueless.
I didn't even think about getting a cheap boat and upgrading it. I might go for the villain and upgrade it. I'll check out what is online. I'm nut sure what new motor to get for up but I'm sure when I search around I'll find some stuff. Would I need to get a new speed controller or just a motor and battery?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
rcboatergirl

Depends on your upgrade - brushless vs. brushed. There are a few threads on the rc groups forums about upgrading the Villain. Another thing you can look into is getting a build it yourself kit. BBY racing has the "Scat Cat" that everyone seems to loooove. They say that most RTR boat hulls are too heavy for catching real speed - I think that's a matter of opinion.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
radiocontrolledboats

Thanks for the tips...I could stay on here all day just reading what everyone is writing about as I'm new to rc boats.