Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Getting started

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:48 AM
digidoc100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started

Hi everyone,

I started thinking about an RC boat for recovery of a new float plane I'm trying to get together. I've since read that it's probably not such a hot idea but I find that I'm still interested in trying a simple electric boat for a very small lake by my house.

Could someone point me toward a good primer on boat setup. I understand basic differences in hulls and I know rc electric power systems pretty well. I also understand radios and servos and such very well. I'm more interested in how you get the drive shaft through the hull and things like that. Stuffing tube right? How about prop selection? There is a program for electric airplanes called motocalc that let's you calculate amp draw and performance with different motor/gearbox/battery/prop combinations. Is there anything like that available for the boating world?

I'm not looking for speed but more for something like a tug that I would have plenty of room to experiment on. I'm having thoughts of differential thrust for steering and such. Anyway, any help on good resources to learn basic RC boating concepts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 06-19-2003, 02:52 AM
gixer1k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting started

Without doubt, the best place for electric boats on the web is Rum Runner Racing

Go to F/E (fast electric) forums.